Celebrities Who Practice Yoga: The Top 11 in 2011
There are a ton of celebrities who practice yoga. Why is this so? Well, in addition to the physical and spiritual benefits, I think that yoga is extremely popular among celebs because they can practice whether they’re on set or on tour. After all, one of the many great things about yoga is that all you need is your breath and a little bit of space.
So when I put together my initial list of celebrity yogis, the number quickly approached 100, which is way too long a post. So I condensed the list to those who've had the most impact on yoga in 2011. (If it were 2010, Gisele would have been the clear winner, but this year she's been quiet on the yoga front).
Here you go:
8. Sting & Trudie Styler - Sting and his wife, Trudie Styler, are the ultimate celebri-yogi couple, as they've been practicing yoga for over 20 years! Sting hits the mat on tour and recently said, "Like music, yoga is a journey -- one that is long enough so you keep developing, and keep learning. I don't see an end to it."
7. K$sha - Last month K$sha received a lot of flack from the press because she practiced on the beach in an unflattering high-waisted swimsuit. But it's yoga, and your practice is your own -- so who cares what you wear?! Go K$sha!
5. Jon Bon Jovi - Make that Jon Bon Jovi - Yogi! Like most guys, the 48-year-old rocker was a gym rat, until he found yoga in 2011 -- and yoga is his new exercise of choice. So when rockers like Jon make the gym-to-yoga conversion, I think it's kind of a big deal!
3. Adam Levine - A picture is worth a 1,000 words -- or in this case, a 1,000 sun salutations. The Maroon 5 frontman bared his yoga body for cancer awareness in January and says of yoga "When I started practicing I instantly felt more sculpted. Yoga carves you into a different person—and that is satisfying physically..." Don't you agree?!
2. Heather Graham - Heather has been hitting the mat for over 11 years and it's definitely paying off as she looks stunning at 40. In addition to loving our friend and all-star yogi, Vinnie Marino, Heather takes her practice seriously enough to have just gone on a yoga retreat at one of my favorite destinations, Xinalani!
1. Michelle Williams - Yoga is about giving back, and Michelle gave back big-time in 2011 with her Yoga for Single Moms Project. Michelle says,"Yoga gave me relief like nothing else; it made me a better person and a better mother... And then I started to think about how expensive it is to get a babysitter to take a yoga class. The idea behind the program is that if you can clear the time, we do the rest. It provides childcare while the mum is in the yoga class, and it's all free." Namaste to that!
Feeling a little fatigued? Feel like something's just not right, but Western Medicine tells you, "you're fine"? Jason Wachob, founder & CEO of mindbodygreen, tells all in his health story. Sign up now for FREE!