David Bowie, English singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist/producer, died peacefully today, surrounded by his family, after an 18-month battle with cancer. He was an icon, whose music was characterized by creativity, abstract themes, and universally resonant lyrics.
He was a rule-breaker and an inspiration for musicians and free spirits the world over. Those are only a few of the reasons we'll remember him for the rest of our lives.
To honor his life and celebrate his legacy, here are nine of his most thought-provoking quotes and lyrics.
1. "The truth is of course that there is no journey. We are all arriving and departing at the same time."
2. "Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
3. "I've never responded well to entrenched negative thinking."
4. "We can be heroes, just for one day."
5. "As you get older, the questions come down to about two or three. How long? And what do I do with the time I've got left?"
6. "I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring."
7. "Sometimes I don't feel as if I'm a person at all. I'm just a collection of other people's ideas."
8. "All my big mistakes are when I try to second-guess or please an audience. My work is always stronger when I get very selfish about it."
9. "Never look back, walk tall, act fine."
Illustration by Chloé Bulpin