10 Things You Need To Know Today (December 31)

1. Twins are more common than ever.

According to the CDC, the twin birthrate was at a record high in 2014, with 33.9 sets of twins born per 1,000 births. (Washington Post)

2. Don't worry. You're not the only one who hates New Year's Eve.

After all, science says that high expectations often lead to disappointment. (Science of Us)

Arrow Created with Sketch. Article continues below

3. Could exercising too much harm your heart?

A new study finds that strenuous exercise can be dangerous for some people, even if they might seem healthy. The researchers say that although it's safe for most people to continue exercising as usual, it's a good reminder to know your family history and get tested for heart conditions if necessary. (NYT)

4. A sleep expert says teenagers should really be starting school at 10 or 11 a.m.

A researcher at the University of Oxford published a study on synchronizing education to adolescent biology. The findings say that 16-year-olds should start school at 10 a.m. and 18-year-olds at 11 a.m., while 8- to 10-year-olds can start as early as 8:30 a.m. Around the age of 55, your biology reverts to that 9-to-5 schedule. (Business Insider)

5. Organic tea company removes Donald Trump quote from bottle caps.

Honest Tea has discontinued "inspirational" caps with the Trump quote, "If you're going to think anyway, you might as well think big." The company insists it has nothing to do with their political affiliations. Or the flak they've been getting on social media. (AP)

6. Exercising in your younger years may alter you microbiome, promoting brain health and metabolic activity.

Researchers found that gut microorganisms are especially malleable at a young age — though they were unable to pinpoint an exact age for when the gut microbe community is most likely to change. (ScienceDaily)

7. Sheryl Sandberg gave a major shout-out to her childhood friends.

She credits these women for supporting her through the loss of her husband and inspiring her "Lean-In Circles." (Facebook)

8. Goldie Hawn has the secret to a lasting relationship.

After 32 years with partner Kurt Russell, Goldie Hawn says the secret to their longevity is mindfulness: "We don't have a perfect relationship. ... Sometimes I get mad and sometimes Kurt gets mad. It's normal. Continuing to listen and grow is important because we get into bad habits in relationships. We're cognizant of these things in our relationships, being mindful and caring and listening." (People)

9. How should a dog wear pants?

The latest divisive question to take the Internet by storm is how a doh would wear pants if, you know, dogs wore pants. (Hello Giggles)

10. Carrie Fisher has some strong words for her body-shamers.

"Please stop debating whether or not I aged well," Fisher wrote in a recent tweet. "My body hasn't aged as well as I have." (TIME)

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!