9 Things You Need To Know Today (December 30)
1. Why is it hard to poop on vacation?
Hint: It has to do with your microbiome. Research suggests that a combination of eating different foods, sitting for long periods of time, and change in environment contribute to a change in gut bacteria and ultimately constipation while traveling. (The Atlantic)
2. You can watch LeBron James work out — and feel like you're there with him.
Oculus released a 360-degree video of James going through his day-to-day routine. It's called "Striving for Greatness." (Facebook)
3. People like healthy food more when they cook it themselves.
Cooking really is the key to good health. A recent study suggests that people actually enjoyed healthier food more when they prepared it themselves. Another reason to get in the kitchen! (Time)
4. Everyone got a Fitbit for Christmas.
The free FitBit app was number one in the app store on Christmas morning, driving the stock up 5 percent in premarket trading earlier this week. (Tech Crunch)
5. On your way to a workout? Grab a coffee.
A new study finds that coffee may have a positive impact on athletic endurance. (Eater)
6. Sharing a bed with your pet just got a lot easier.
Thanks to Brazilian company Colchão Inteligente Postural, there's now a mattress on the market that features a mini-bed for your pet within the human mattress. (Bored Panda)
7. Turns out endorphins aren't the only reason you get a runner's high.
The feeling is also caused by lower levels of leptin, a fat hormone, which could mean people with lower levels of the hormone could be genetically inclined to exercise more. (Gizmodo)
8. Lung nodules could be a predictor of lung cancer.
A study presented at RSNA 2015 suggests that the presence of ground glass nodules suggests a higher risk of lung cancer in both men and women, but women are 50 percent more likely to have these nodules than men. (Cancer Therapy Advisor)