Don’t let lack of time or equipment stop you from getting fit. You can get leaner and stronger with just a jump rope.
As someone who jumps rope every other morning, I can tell you that it’s an effective way to burn fat and improve cardiovascular health. It's a simple, high-intensity exercise that really brings the burn. If you’re a beginner, here are a few tips that will help you jump rope better:
- First, buy the right jump rope. Speed jump ropes are the best for beginners and folks who want to jump fast. Avoid weighted jump ropes because they hurt when you hit yourself.
- Adjust the length of your rope. When you step on the middle of the rope, the handles should extend to your armpits (you can shorten the rope as you get more skilled).
- As you jump, make sure that your arms are beside your ribcage. And avoid swinging your arms — use your wrist to swing the rope. Too much arm movement will tire you out quickly.
- To avoid jumping high, your feet should be slightly off the floor when you jump. Land on the balls of your feet throughout. Wearing the right shoes is also important. Your shoes should be light, with rubber soles to absorb the impact of your jumps.
The faster you jump, the more calories you’ll burn. Don’t get frustrated when you step on the rope, you’ll get better with time. Now, let's get started!:
The 15-Minute Jump Rope Workout
Take a one-minute rest between each variation.
1. Four-minute alternating-leg jumps
This is one of the easiest variations. Start on one foot then land on the other foot after one swing. Keep alternating legs for four minutes. Feel free to add short rests in between if you can’t jump for four minutes nonstop.
2. Two-minute single-leg jumps
The single-leg jump is a little challenging. Jump on the left foot for 60 seconds, then switch and jump on the right foot for 60 seconds.
3. Three-minute double-leg jumps
Jump on both feet throughout. Make sure your jumps aren’t high and stick your chest out.
4. Three-minute side-to-side jumps
Instead of jumping on the spot — jump left then right after every swing
There you have it: In just 15 minutes you can burn lots of calories and improve heart health. Now get to it!
- 6 (Weird & Amazing) Workouts You Won't Believe Are Real
- 4-Minute Tabata For Strong, Toned Legs
- 5 Exercises That Will Tone Your Entire Upper Body
Photo Credit: Stocksy