1. Winona Ryder, 44, is the new face of Marc Jacobs' beauty line.
The designer — who previously chose 64-year-old Jessica Lange to be his beauty spokesmodel — revealed the news on Instagram and called her a "physical beauty like no other." (The Cut)
2. Douglas Tompkins, the 72-year-old founder of North Face died in a kayaking accident.
He developed hypothermia after his kayak capsized on General Carrera Lake in the Patagonia region of southern Chile. (The New York Times)
3. Nike signed a lifetime deal with LeBron James.
This is reportedly the first lifetime deal in the company's 44-year history. (ESPN)
4. Ending a sentence with a period is a huge texting no-no (!)
A new study shows that people perceive texts that end in periods as being less sincere than those that end with an exclamation point or no punctuation at all. (mbg)
5. Infant mortality rates in America are at their lowest level ever.
The CDC announced that the U.S. reached a record low in the death of infants in 2014. While it isn't entirely sure why, falling rates of preterm births and induced labor likely contributed. (NYT)
6. The medical community is now recognizing a new STD.
Mycoplasma genitalium, or MG, is a bacterial infection that spreads through sexual contact. Its symptoms include painful urination for both sexes, as well as watery discharge for men and irritation and bleeding after intercourse for women. The good news? It can be easily treated with an antibiotic. (CNN)
7. More American kids are diagnosed with ADHD than ever before.
In the U.S., 12 percent of children between the ages of 5 and 17 have been diagnosed with ADHD — a 43 percent increase since 2003. Moreover, the largest growth is happening among girls and Hispanic kids. (Washington Post)
8. Angela Merkel was named TIME Person of the Year.
It's been 29 years since an individual woman was given the distinction. (TIME)
9. Russia is trying to be the biggest producer of organic food.
Vladimir Putin says he will accomplish this simply by growing more crops. His plan, which he outlined to Parliament last week, is to become the "largest world supplier of healthy, ecologically clean, and high-quality food" in the next five years. (RT)
10. ClassPass enters the fashion industry.
11. Victoria's Secret Angels compete in a Tough Mudder.
Four of the angels showed off their athletic side when they zipped through a Tough Mudder obstacle course. (The Scene)
12. Legalizing marijuana could help lower obesity levels in the U.S.
A new study found that the U.S. states that have legalized weed have seen reductions in obesity levels. They attribute this to the fact that marijuana is correlated with a decrease in binge drinking in younger populations and an increase in mobility in older ones. (mbg)
Photo Credit: Getty Images