1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add diced pancetta and cook until pancetta is crispy. Remove crispy pancetta and place into a small bowl.
2. Then add leeks, and celery and sauté on medium high for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Once leeks and celery are soft, add mushrooms and apples and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Then add thyme, sage and rosemary and stir. Remove from the heat and put the cooked veggies into a large mixing bowl, then add the toasted cornbread. (To toast the cornbread, cut the cornbread into 1-2 inch and toast in the oven on a sheet pan at 300 degrees for about 20-30 mins. Watch them carefully. )
4. Pour heavy cream and chicken stock over everything and mix to combine thoroughly, it’s okay if some of the pieces break apart it just makes it better in the end!
5. Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan with oil of your choice. Dump cornbread and veggie mixture in and bake for 30-35 minutes.
Photo courtesy of the author