9 Things You Need To Know Today (November 7)

9 Things You Need To Know Today (November 7) Hero Image

1. Obesity could be in your DNA.

A small study revealed that the presence of two genes may be responsible for individuals craving more sugary and fatty foods. This knowledge could help develop a treatment using gut hormones to target dopamine cells in the brain. (Medical News Today)

2. Ex-McDonald's CEO going vegan.

For work, anyway. Don Thompson is joining vegan "meat" startup Beyond Meat. (Grub Street)

3. Deadpool will be the first pansexual superhero.

ADVERTISEMENT

The upcoming movie, based on the Marvel comic character, will not stray from the hypersexualized original character (i.e., don't bring your kids to this one). (The Guardian)

4. A new procedure fights obesity without requiring surgery.

A study found that a new "balloon pill" that's swallowed and filled with fluid through a small catheter helped people lose more than a third of their excess weight in four months. Though it hasn't been approved by the FDA yet, researchers say the results are promising for obese patients who don't want to undergo invasive gastric surgery. (LA Times)

5. Good news for teens; bad news for adults.

A new study found that, on average, teenagers in America are happier than they used to be, while adults 30 and over reported decreased happiness. One explanation could be that people's expectations are higher than they used to be, so they feel more discouraged when life doesn't pan out quite as planned. (The Atlantic)

6. Exxon Mobil under investigation for lying about climate change risks.

The New York attorney general is investigating claims that the oil company downplayed the danger of climate change when dealing with potential investors. Though it has funded research on the risks that global warming present to the oil industry since the 1970s, they've largely been swept under the rug. (NYT)

7. How a wellness entrepreneur fought depression on the way to building a $300 million business.

Annie Lawless overcame her depression by discovering her passion for fresh, raw, and organic juice. Suja, her non-GMO juices, are now sold in more than 10,000 outlets. (Inc.)

8. These grown-up dorms are one man's solution to FOMO.

Built on the top two floors of a co-working space in Syracuse, Commonspace is comprised of 21 "microunits." Each occupant will have his or her own kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and living space (all in under 300 feet each) but share a common space including a chef's kitchen, game room, and TV room. This may just be everything a millennial's ever wanted. (The Atlantic)

9. Balance is the achievement on Wall Street.

“This generation is different,” said Jeanne Branthover, head of the global financial-services practice at Boyden, an executive-search firm. “They want and are serious about having a work-life balance. Most are saying 'I know this looks good on a résumé, so I’ll do this for two years. But I’m using this to go somewhere else.'” (WSJ)

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Explore More