11 Things You Need To Know Today (November 6)

1. Sugar is taking high-fructose corn syrup to court. Yes, really.

In California, a jury will decide whether high-fructose corn syrup is equal nutritionally to sugar and perhaps determine the lesser of two evils. (LA Times)

2. Leave those leaves.

Wildlife experts are urging people not to rake the leaves in their yards, as the fallen foliage is beneficial to the surrounding ecosystem and wildlife. (Tech Times)

3. New Canadian prime minister announces 50 percent female cabinet.

Justin Trudeau, Canada's newly elected prime minister, made good on a campaign promise yesterday when his cabinet was sworn in with women making up half of the 31-member team. His response to why he made such a notable decision? "Because it's 2015." (Al Jazeera)

4. Bill Gates to donate $2 billion to climate change prevention.

In an interview with The Atlantic, Bill Gates announced he'd be donating $2 billion of his own money to finance innovation and research that will halt climate change. He says that there's no financial incentive to develop carbon-free alternatives quickly, and the world needs private investors to step in. (The Atlantic)

5. Kenya's runners and other athletes are under fire.

The World Anti-Doping Agency officials claim that Kenya's anti-doping agency isn't doing its job (i.e., testing athletes as much as they should be) and could jeopardize the country's participation in the Olympics. (NYT)

6. Research finds acupuncture works for neck pain.

According to a new study, people with chronic neck pain who received acupuncture for a few months reported 10 percent less pain than those who just received the standard level of care (meds or visits to a physical therapist). (NPR)

7. Athleisure is now officially a word and investors are taking notice.

And there's a crop of startups like Carbon 38, Sweaty Betty, and Outdoor Voices leading the way as they're backed by some big-name investors. (NYT)

8. Scientists are breeding "super coral" that can withstand rising ocean temperatures.

Certain coral varieties are better-suited to withstand the rising temperatures caused by climate change, and marine scientists in Hawaii are trying to extract their traits in an effort to create new, hyper-resilient coral strains (The Guardian).

9. Popular vegan blogger Jordan Younger leaves veganism behind.

“These days I live without a label, which is much more freeing. I still eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and smoothies, but also fish, eggs, and sometimes red meat. I’m no longer the aunt who paces the party table, agonizing over whether to take a slice of her niece’s birthday cake. Now I’m all about balance.” (NY Post)

10. How Organic Avenue lost all its juice.

After the chain of juice shops in New York City closed and filed for bankruptcy, its devotees were left wondering how the former fashion darling fell so far. (NYT)

11. Panera wants you to eat more plants!

“We know that guests are increasingly seeking plant-based proteins for personal health reasons and/or to reduce their environmental impact,” said Sara Burnett, Panera’s director of wellness and food policy. “To that end, we have been adding plant-based proteins like edamame and organic quinoa to our pantry of ingredients.” (Fortune)

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!