1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Combine the apples with the sugar, arrowroot, spices, and lemon juice. Toss and set aside.
3. In a food processor, pulse the walnuts until mealy. Next, add the sea salt and pulse a few times. Add the flax seeds and pulse again. With the motor running, drop one pitted date at a time into the processor. The mixture will ball up on one side of the bowl and form a dough.
4. Grease a 13-inch tart pan with the coconut oil. Press the crust mixture into the bottom of the pan.
5. Arrange the apples in a circular fashion starting at the edge. As you finish one round, begin again and add another layer and another until you finish creating a spiral flower pattern.
6. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the apples are soft and golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
8. Slice, serve, and enjoy with Coconut Ginger Ice Cream or Cashew Vanilla Cream.
Reprinted from The Plantpower Way by arrangement with Avery Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2015, Rich Roll & Julie Piatt