Want Radiant Skin? Try This Super Simple Ritual (It's Less Than $1)
Keep your skin looking refreshed and radiant with a simple at-home herbal facial steam. Warm steam naturally rids skin of impurities and softens skin's texture while also carrying nourishing herbs that soothe and revitalize. Facial steams also make an excellent primer, making skin more receptive to masques or serums.
The best part about a facial steam is that you can pick and choose the herbs you want to use based on your desired effect. Here are some of my favorites and what they can do for your skin:
- Chamomile: Used since ancient times, chamomile promotes regeneration of skin cells, softens skin, and reduces stress.
- Calendula: Known as the skin-healing herb, calendula is anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and relieves dry or chapped skin.
- Lavender: Not only does lavender rejuvenate skin cells, it's relaxing, soothing, and helps alleviate insomnia.
- Nettle Leaf: Loaded with minerals, nettle acts as a mild astringent to tone skin and stimulate circulation.
I also like comfrey, eyebright, lemon balm, peppermint, and geranium. Fresh out of herbs? Use a couple of teabags — chamomile, peppermint, or lavender — instead.
What are you waiting for? Let’s steam ourselves to beautiful skin!
At-Home Herbal Steam for Radiant Skin
- Boil 6 cups or purified or distilled water.
- Add a handful of fresh or 4 tablespoons of dried herbs to a heat-safe bowl and pour hot water over herbs.
- Cover bowl with plate and allow the herbs to soak for 5 minutes.
- Remove the plate and lean over the bowl with a towel draped over your head. Keep your face at least 8 inches above the water. (Make sure your skin is clean before steaming.)
- Keep your eyes closed and breathe in the soothing aroma. If it gets too hot, simply lift the sides of the towel to allow some heat to escape.
- Steam for about 10 minutes. Then pat your skin dry and apply a moisturizer or serum.
Photo courtesy of the author
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.