10 Meals Nutritionists Cook On Busy Weeknights

Weeknights are tough. You get home after a long day and feel completely ravenous. Maybe your fridge is stocked, or maybe you didn't have time to go grocery shopping — whatever the scenario, you need to eat, like an hour ago. Before you grab the chips and start munching, check out these easy, go-to suggestions from our favorite nutritionists, health coaches, and one trustworthy physician.

Salmon + Roasted Veggies

“I'm often on-the-go so no two nights look the same for me," says Robin Berzin, a physician and health coach, who specializes in women’s nutrition and health. "That being said, you can usually find me enjoying a sustainable piece of fish along with roasted veggies or a kale salad."

Article continues below

Veggie Quinoa

“I work with whatever I have in the fridge," says Talia Pollock, holistic health coach and author of the blog Party in My Plants. "I start with a base like quinoa, a sweet potato, or brown rice pasta. Then, I either sauté a variety of fresh veggies or boil frozen ones. Next, I add protein so this meal actually fills me up. I’ll go for sautéed tofu, roasted tempeh, a veggie burger, canned beans, etc. Last, but not least, I have to add some flavor! So I’ll make a pesto, use a healthy canned sauce, or just sprinkle on oil, vinegar, and some seasonings. I literally have a video outlining this entire easy and replicable process."

Butternut Squash Soup + Veggie Fritters

“These are my two favorite dinners when life gets crazy," says Elissa Goodman, a holistic health coach. "After a busy day, veggie fritters are easy to make and I love having soups prepared and ready to serve."

Article continues below

Socca + Tomato Sauce

“Socca is on my regular rotation," says Rachel Meltzer Warren, MS, RDN, and author of The Smart Girl’s Guide to Going Vegetarian book and blog. "It's basically a flatbread made from chickpea flour and water. I throw that together, warm up some tomato sauce for dipping, and put some greens like arugula with olive oil and lemon juice on the side. Voilà, dinner!"

Chicken, Green Beans + Rice

“I always keep a bag or two of gluten-free breaded chicken strips in the freezer along with frozen green beans and a bag of minute brown rice," says Emily Hein, RDN and author of the blog Zen & Spice Nutrition. "When we're in a hurry, we pop the chicken into the toaster oven, throw the green beans and rice in the microwave, and dinner is ready in less than 15 minutes!"

Article continues below

Meatballs + Zoodles

“I do a lot of batch cooking on the weekends to make weekdays a little less crazy. I always have chili, stews, and main-course soups in the freezer for the days when I’m too frazzled to cook," says Dr. Kellyann Petrucci, a naturopathic physician and certified nutrition consultant. "I also batch-cook meatballs and chicken and freeze them in small packages that will thaw fast. That way, I can toss together a chicken stir-fry or curry in minutes, or serve meatballs in a yummy tomato sauce over 'zoodled' sautéed zucchini."

Whole-Wheat Pizza + Veggies

“My family loves my whole wheat-crusted pizza," says Bonnie Taub-Dix, owner of BetterThanDieting.com and author of Read It Before You Eat It. "This is a chance to add leftovers — anything from grilled chicken to roasted veggies. I add several different types of cheese including freshly grated Parmesan and shredded fresh mozzarella. With the addition of fresh crushed garlic and chopped grape tomatoes — this midweek specialty makes it feel like a weekend.”

Article continues below

Two Fried Eggs + Veggies

“Two fried eggs in coconut oil with sautéed mushrooms and kale and a baked sweet potato. It's simple, fast, filling and nutritious!” says Robyn Coale, RD, and author of the blog The Real Life RD.

Sweet Potato Hash

“On busy nights, I make sweet potato hash with seasonal vegetables and eggs, black beans, or crumbled tempeh," says Rachael Hartley, RD, and author of the blog Avocado-a-Day Nutrition. "For seasoning, I love to add a little spice from chipotle chilies or hot sauce. My Southwestern tempeh and sweet potato hash has become my go-to recipe.”

Article continues below

Chicken Enchiladas

“I resort to my all-natural chicken enchiladas," shares Jenna Braddock, RDN, and author of the blog Make Healthy Easy. "This is a great recipe to make with any leftover meat or beans. I like to add extra veggies, too, like zucchini, spinach, or lots of peppers."

Photos courtesy of iStock

For more food tips from nutritionists, check out these stories:

Related Posts

Unlock The Healing Power Of Food

Get FREE access to mindbodygreen's Functional Nutrition Mini-Series to learn how food can be a pathway to optimal health & wellbeing.

Get Access Now Loading next article...

Your article and new folder have been saved!