10 Things You Need To Know Today (October 17)

1. A London rock-climbing gym has launched classes for people living with neurological challenges.

Because movements are repeated frequently, the sport helps with the brain's ability to navigate its neural pathways. (The Guardian)

2. A Marine Corps study found there's no detriment to morale in mixed-gender combat units.

After months of testing mixed-gender combat units, the Marine Corps found that morale was equal to that of all-male groups and even higher than in noncombat integrated groups. Plus, sexual assault levels were no higher than in the Marines as a whole. In sum, integration = good. (NYT)

3. Lululemon's founding family gets revenge with cashmere.

They built a spandex empire. Now they have a new plan to dress the young, fit, and rich. (Bloomberg)

4. Hollywood takes on gun control.

Along with 80 other celebrities, Julianne Moore has launched a gun safety campaign in the wake of "the daily increase of gun violence in our beautiful country." The group will aim to mobilize voters around gun control issues. (BBC)

5. Puerto Rico will let students choose pants or skirts, regardless of gender.

For the first time, public school students across Puerto Rico will be able to choose whether they wear pants or skirts with their uniforms based on the gender they identify with without facing punishment. (ABC)

6. Moms have a hard time admitting their kids are overweight.

A new study of 8,000 mothers and their 9-year-old children found that although almost all the moms could correctly identify their own weight, just 17 percent recognized that their kids were overweight or obese. (Reuters)

7. This is how Kate Spade does yoga gear.

The limited edition Kate Spade x Beyond Yoga line will launch in January. It will be 21 pieces, ranging in price from $80 to $178. (Racked)

8. Your stressful job can lead to stroke — especially if you're a woman.

Research reveals that employees in high-pressure jobs are 22 percent more likely to suffer a stroke. The risk was found to be even higher for women, likely because they tend to work in more high-stress fields, like nursing and the service industry, while lower-stress careers, like science and architecture, tend to be majority male. (The Cut)

9. A new phone app could help screen kids for autism.

Released earlier this week, the Autism & Beyond app scans children's facial expressions and flags any indicators of autism. (Vox)

10. Former Victoria's Secret model Lindsay Ellingson on yoga and the importance of gratitude.

"I’ve learned a lot through my yoga studio, Yoga 216. I also met with Dr. Pratima Raichur. I left from that appointment being like, I will try to remember everything I learned here forever. Everything you are thinking affects how you look and feel. Thoughts are just as important. If you are having a stressful day, it’s good to define a few things that you are grateful for, to wake up with gratitude. I have a journal, I write down a few things and think about three things that I’m thankful for like Carly (my dog) and all these other beautiful things. It makes you feel uplifted." — Lindsay Ellingson (The Cut)

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!