12 Foods A Dietitian Keeps In Her Kitchen (They're Not What You Think)

12 Foods A Dietitian Keeps In Her Kitchen (They're Not What You Think) Hero Image

I've been a registered dietitian for 27 years, and my passion is helping my clients find the right foods to fuel their body’s unique needs. But my clients often want to know what I eat.

I'm the mother of five kids, a business owner, and a marathon runner, so I eat a lot — but what I eat is pretty straightforward. Below is a list of the 12 things you're mostly likely to find in my kitchen, in no particular order:

1. Coffee

I love nothing more than the quiet of my house in the morning and a good cup of coffee with just a splash of almond milk. French press–style allows me to keep in all of the good essential oils that, according to some recent research, may have some positive neuroprotective effects.

2. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil

ADVERTISEMENT

What's not to love about this heart-healthy ingredient that doubles as eye makeup remover and moisturizer?

For me, picking out a bottle of olive oil is like picking out a bottle of wine. I consider the flavor profiles, the beauty of the bottle, and then the price point. For a special occasion, a really nice bottle of olive oil is definitely in my cart.

Note: Nice olive oil is for dressing, dipping, and marinating — not for cooking in.

3. Red Wine

Next to the olive oil on my kitchen counter is a bottle of red wine. A nice glass of antioxidant-rich red wine compliments just about any meal and adds fun and pleasure too.

4. 5-Seed Blend

This nutritional powerhouse sits on my counter, ready to dress my morning oatmeal or my rice at night.

It's simply a jar of chia seeds, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds. Hello, magnesium, calcium, protein, omega-3 fats, and antioxidants all in one.

5. Chocolate

Yes, I'm a firm believer that a little bit of dark chocolate is a necessity of life. Better yet, chocolate-dipped Brazil nuts. Brazil nuts are a great source of selenium, the mother of all antioxidants.

6. Local Eggs

I fell in love with eggs in Italy. The yolks were the brightest and most delicious yellow color because they feed their chickens so well. I live in Vermont, where we're lucky to have many local farm-fresh egg sellers.

Eggs are not only a great breakfast food but can add a quick-cooking protein to dinner too.

7. Spices

Spices are like a painter's palette. They're so colorful and inspiring that I love having them out where I can see them. Some of my favorites are turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, ginger, and cumin.

Cooking with spices is a great way to add flavor and anti-inflammatory properties to your plate.

8. Something Green

Spirulina is a favorite in our house. It is a great source of minerals and amino acids that can easily be added to a smoothie or a glass of water for a morning elixir.

9. Veggies

Seriously. Some people have a fruit bowl on the counter; we have a veggie bowl. I get super-excited when I see different colors peeking out of the bowl. Beets, cucumbers, carrots, peppers — it's like a rainbow.

10. Avocados

I've been known to sneak avocados into my kids' chocolate cupcakes, and they show up on my plate or in my smoothie daily.

It was a bad day when I found my daughter using the avocado I was looking forward to eating with dinner as a face mask.

11. Salt

While salt often gets a bad rap, most of the sodium consumed in America doesn't come from the salt shaker.

Salt is an essential element for balancing flavors in the kitchen and satisfying your taste buds. In my kitchen you will find about six different salts including kosher salt, fine sea salt, smoked salt, pink Himalayan salt, chili lime salt, and truffle salt.

12. Maple Syrup

I do live in Vermont, after all. Vermonters use maple syrup in their coffee, to sweeten granola, and as sports fuel. Pancakes and waffles are just a side note. We love Grade B syrup (it has the most intense flavor).

Photo Credit: iStock Photo

Explore More