A few years ago, I applied makeup from a standard Halloween kit to my son's face. He wanted to be a punk-rock zombie, and who was I to deny him? He sat there patiently while I painted, but something seemed ... off. He became very quiet and seemed to be swallowing more than usual.
Within a few minutes, he began to complain his throat was burning. About halfway through the makeup application, we could see the areas of his face not yet covered with makeup growing pale. We rushed him to the bathroom, where he vomited white foam several times. Keep in mind that this makeup did NOT get in his mouth.
After tending to him and removing all traces of the makeup, he began to feel well again. We then studied the labels on the back of the kit and were shocked at what we found.
There were warnings on the back label about not using certain colors in the palette near the eyes or mouth. Imagine that ... a makeup kit, targeted at kids, meant for faces, that warned the user not to apply the contents to the face. How scary is that?
We contacted the manufacturer, who emphatically stated the makeup was nontoxic, despite what had happened to our son. We argued with them about their lack of responsibility in the safety of such products, but it was obvious we were getting nowhere. Additionally, we contacted the customer service center at the big box store we'd purchased the kit from to tell them about our son's reaction, but these same kits are still being sold year after year.
Needless to say, this episode is one of the events that prompted our family to take a deeper look at the ingredients we were not only eating but also applying to our skin. It's yet another example of how we truly need stricter regulations regarding product safety.
My advice to you? Beware and leave faces clean this Halloween. If you need to apply face makeup, opt for nontoxic eyeliner, lipstick, and blush manufactured with top safety standards.
Make sure to really read ingredient labels, and avoid anything that contains the following: