12 Things You Need To Know Today (October 12)

1. The economics of being a yoga teacher can be brutal.

Getting by as a yoga teacher has never been easy, but people in the industry say that, in recent years, it’s gotten harder than it’s been in decades. (NY Mag)

2. There's a start-up that's making a "Fitbit for your mouth."

It's the brainchild of ex–Seattle Seahawks fullback Mike Robinson, who was inspired to start the business after losing a teammate to heatstroke 15 years ago. (Business Insider)

3. Eating organic lowers pesticide levels in children.

Researchers have found that when children eat organic fruits and vegetables, the amount of pesticides in their bodies declines significantly. (NYT)

4. Yoga is serving as inspiration for Christina Aguilera’s new album.

"Taking a love for yoga and breathing ... not looking at it as an exercise, but just feeling more one with the Earth and everyone being connected, it'll definitely have a reflection on the new record,” says Aguilera. (Salt Lake Tribune)

5. Jean-George Vongerichten's eagerly anticipated vegetarian restaurant in New York City will open in early 2016.

Chef Neal Harden who was the chef at Pure Food and Wine for five years will be heading up the kitchen at V. New York foodies and vegetarians eagerly await! (Eater)

6. Jon Stewart's wife, Tracey, is starting an animal farm sanctuary.

The sanctuary will be on the family's New Jersey farm, and she also has a new book out called Do Unto Animals: A Friendly Guide to How Animals Live, and How We Can Make Their Lives Better. (NYT)

7. With this community food-waste converter, you can truly make local energy and fertilizer.

We spend a lot of time, money, and resources transporting food to where people eat it, then we spend a lot more carting our waste away again. But it doesn't have to be like that. Imagine if we could reuse more waste locally and generate energy and grow food at the same time. (Fast Co. Exist)

8. How safe is hypnosis?

Recent news has people talking about the practice and its safety and effectiveness. (TIME)

9. California brings in strict limits on the use of antibiotics in livestock farming.

The move comes amid concern that overuse of drugs is contributing to rising numbers of life-threatening human infections from "superbugs." (The Guardian)

10. The placebo effect is getting stronger — but only for Americans.

It’s a mystery of modern medicine: Americans — and only Americans — are becoming more likely to report feeling very real physical effects after taking totally fake painkillers, say scientists from McGill University. (Science of Us)

11. It's more nutritious to eat a bug than a steak.

Researchers at the University of Oxford put together a new study published in Nature in which insects and some of our more traditional livestock options (chicken, beef, or pork) battle it out for the title of most nutritious. The insects won. (Gizmodo)

12. Ronda Rousey’s next fight: body image in Hollywood.

“I swear to God, if anyone calls me fat one more time in my life, I’m going to kill them.” Ronda Rousey (NYT)

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!