With only 10 minutes to prep and five main ingredients, you'll be surprised at the incredible flavors in this dish. Serve it over cauliflower rice and sautéed summer squash or with a simple salad to complete the meal.
Danielle Walker’s Chicken Verde
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- 6 chicken legs, bone-in and skin-on
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed into a paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cups salsa (store-bought or homemade), divided
1. Heat the ghee in a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
2. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Mix the garlic, cumin, and coriander in a small bowl, and rub it all over the chicken. Working in batches, brown the chicken on all sides, about 2 minutes per side.
3. For the slow cooker: Pour 1 cup of the salsa into the slow cooker and arrange the browned legs on top. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. For the stovetop: Keep the legs in the pot and pour in 1 cup of the salsa. Simmer, covered, over medium-low heat for 3 hours.
4. Serve the chicken with the remaining 1 cup of the salsa.
If using homemade salsa, make it up to 5 days in advance to save prep time.
This recipe is excerpted from Meals Made Simple. Danielle Walker is the founder of AgainstAllGrain.com and bestselling cookbook author of Against All Grain and Meals Made Simple. Find more recipes at www.againstallgrain.com.