12 Things You Need To Know Today (October 8)

1. The amount of sex women have can boost fertility.

According to a study, it turns out that sex actually triggers changes to the immune system that could increase fertility in women. So having sex even when you're not ovulating could be beneficial if you're trying to conceive. (US News)

2. Demi Lovato opens up about mental health following the shooting in Oregon.

Lovato, who is living with bipolar disorder, called for "more comprehensive mental health reform in our government" during a recent interview. (MSNBC)

3. Restaurants in California are forced to use disposable dishes to cut down on water use.

A city council in Northern California recently called on eateries in the Fort Bragg region to serve food on paper plates, alongside disposable flatware. The emergency order aims to reduce the need for water-sucking dishwashers. (GrubStreet)

4. Dads-to-be aren't as carefree as you might think.

New data from the American Journal of Men's Health shows that 13.3 percent of men experience symptoms of depression during their partners' third trimesters. The study focused on participants' mood, physical activity, sleep quality, financial stress, and marital dynamics. (TIME)

5. More women are now getting IUDs after birth.

A new study shows that as Medicaid coverage of contraception expands, women are increasingly opting to have IUDs inserted in the hospital right after delivery. (TIME)

6. Wearing plastic vegetables, fruits, and flowers on your head is now the hottest trend in China.

No one really knows how the headwear craze got started, although some suggest it's a nod to ancient Chinese teachings about harmony with nature. (NYT)

7. California passes the "strongest equal pay law in the nation."

On Tuesday, California Governor Jerry Brown signed the California Fair Pay Act. After a study found full-time female employees in California were receiving 84 cents to every dollar their male counterparts made, the law will insist employers prove pay is based solely on performance (rather than gender) if a male employee is paid more than a woman for the same job (or vice versa). (The Takeaway)

8. Target now has a plus-size male model.

The model, Zach Miko, is proof that the men's apparel industry is slowly (but surely) catching up with the body-positive movement. (Yahoo Style)

9. Clothes recycling gets sexy!

Take your old unwanted clothes into underwear store Intimissimi and you can come out with sexy lingerie (or more practical undergarments). The Italian company has partnered with clothing recycler I:CO to implement the idea. (Fast Co. Exist)

10. Doctors finally get real about kids and screen time.

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, children under 2 should get zero screen time. Which sounds nice in theory, but is totally impractical if you've ever tried to text, email or watch TV in the presence of little ones. The AAP recently announced that they'll be setting new guidelines to allow for some screen time. Until then, they have some handy tips for exposing your children to media in a smart way. (AAP News)

11. Plant-based cheeseburgers are big business.

Former carnivores, rejoice! Impossible Foods, a company that is developing plant-based meats and cheeses, just raised $108 million in funding. (TechCrunch)

12. Kim Kardashian calls pregnancy "the worst experience of my life."

"I don't enjoy one moment of it, and I don't understand people who enjoy it," she wrote on her site. "Maybe it's the swelling, the backaches or just the complete mindfuck of how your body expands and nothing fits. I just always feel like I'm not in my own skin." But she added that it's all worth it "when you have your precious baby in the end." (ELLE)

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!