9 Things You Need To Know Today (October 5)

1. Butt facials are a thing.

It starts with exfoliation then moves on to tiny electric shocks to tone the muscles. Yikes! (Racked)

2. Half of Europe opted out of GMOs.

Half of the European Union’s 28 countries and three of its regions have opted out of a new GM crop scheme, in a blow to biotech industry hopes. (The Guardian)

3. This ad campaign will put everything in perspective.

AT&T's new "It Can Wait" ad, part of a campaign that warns against the dangers of texting while driving, tells the tragic story of would-be football star Fletcher Cleaves. (AdWeek)

4. Kate Winslet tells Lancome when she thinks they're blurring out too many wrinkles in her ads.

"I’m baffled that anyone might not think women get more beautiful as they get older," she said in a recent interview. "Confidence comes with age, and looking beautiful comes from the confidence someone has in themselves.” (Net A Porter)

5. The decline of big soda is happening.

The drop in soda consumption is the single largest change in the American diet in the last decade. (NYT)

6. Scientists are working on an exercise pill so you never have to work out again.

Before you say, "WTF," the drug could have "major benefits for the elderly, as well as people who have obesity, type-2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease." (Quartz)

7. Michelle Obama has empowering words for young women about education.

At a panel hosted by Glamour last week, Michelle Obama told the audience, "There is no boy, at this age, cute enough or interesting enough to stop you from getting an education." She continued, “If I had worried about who liked me and who thought I was cute when I was your age, I wouldn’t be married to the president of the United States.” (NY Mag)

8. Unilever is betting big on sustainability.

CMO Keith Weed talks about why Unilever's corporate brand has gone from invisible to the forefront of sustainable business. (Fast Co. Create)

9. Wall Street's grueling pace is costing lives and managment is noticing.

“You’ve got to take care of your mind, your body, your spirit, your soul, your health. JPMorgan can’t do it for you, or wherever you work. If you neglect those things, you’ll destroy your personal relationships. You’ll destroy your life. You won’t be healthy. You won’t enjoy it.” - Jamie Dimon, CEO of JP Morgan Chase (NYT)

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Explore More