8 Things You Need To Know Today (September 28)
1. These maps show the most popular running routes in 20 US cities.
Nathan Yau, who runs the blog Flowing Data, used some of that data from Runkeeper to create the series of beautiful minimalist maps. (Washington Post)
2. Coca-Cola spent over $118.6M on fake health research in five years.
After the soda giant got called out by the Times for funding "research" that just so happened to conclude that when it comes to health, how much we exercise is more important than what we consume, it decided to be more transparent and release a breakdown of how much money it has given to health groups and experts. (AP)
3. Why students hate school lunches.
Kids are turning their noses up at — and filling trash cans with — unappetizing fare. So how can we get kids to love their veggies? (NYT)
4. The United Nations wants to cut food waste in half by 2030.
Did you know that in America we throw away 40% of our food? (Grub Street)
5. Here are the 5 best moments from the Global Citizen Festival.
From Beyonce and Michelle Obama to Coldplay and Malala, there were some pretty amazing moments as 60,000 people packed Central Park for a good cause this past weekend. (Mashable)
6. How scientific are the US dietary guidelines?
In the 2015 report for the new guidelines, the advisory committee said it did not use Nutrition Evidence Library reviews for more than 70 percent of topics it covered. (Mother Jones)
7. How a paralyzed man walked again.
Researchers at the University of California Irvine combined virtual reality with brain-computer interfaces for a promising result. (TIME)
8. Nature replants its own burned forests: the case against forest salvage strategy.
"It's kicking the forest when it's down," said Chad Hanson of the John Muir Project, an environmental nonprofit that opposes salvage logging. (LA Times)
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.