8 Things You Need To Know Today (September 22)

1. Americans aren't getting enough vegetables.

A new USDA report finds that almost half of all veggies available in the US are tomatoes and potatoes — far from the variety of dark, leafy greens and colorful vegetables that's recommended. (NPR)

2. General Mills is giving away selfie spoons.

Beware: mid-bite selfies are about to become a thing. Marketed as "the world's most unique selfie stick," the Cinnamon Toast Crunch selfie spoon features a 30 inch spoon that ends in a slot to put your phone. (TIME)

3. Football is really, really bad for the brain.

A study done on 91 former NFL players, who upon death, donated their brains to science, found that 87 of them tested positive for a brain disease linked to heat trauma and concussions. (CNN)

4. Here's some good news for college farming.

Mark Bittman learns about an innovative apprenticeship program that is aiming to improve the way we eat, farm and garden. (NYT)

5. Scientists calculate the dramatic economic cost of a warming Arctic.

Scientists are predicting that carbon emissions from thawing permafrost could cause climate effects which will cost the world approximately $43 trillion over the next 200 years. Ouch. (Washington Post)

6. Do they love running? Or are they addicted? (And does it matter?)

In ultrarunning, addicts find a place where they below. (SB Nation)

7. Apple finally starts to acknowledge women's health with its iOS9 update.

With Apple's iOS9 update came the addition of a reproductive health feature in its Health app, allowing users to track their period, ovulation test results, sexual activity and more. This is a big step in the right direction, as Apple was previously scrutinized for overlooking menstruation when it first introduced the Health app last year. (TechCrunch)

8. Demi Lovato on embracing her body and overcoming her eating disorder.

"It's extremely important for me to even embrace my body and my sexuality with showing more skin – I think it's great. I went from being in a place where I was suffering from an eating disorder and hating every single inch of my body to now baring my legs and showing more skin in front of the whole world and being proud of my body instead of loathing it. It's important for me to show people you can go from hating to yourself to loving yourself and being proud of your body and the skin your in." — Demi Lovato (People)

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!