9 Things You Need To Know Today (September 17)

9 Things You Need To Know Today (September 17) Hero Image

1. Making your kids play outside might be good for their eyesight.

The rate of nearsightedness in children (in first grade through 12th grade) was 9% lower over the course of three years when they played outside for 40 minutes a day. (TIME)

2. Social media IS bumming you out.

A new study from the University of Glasgow found that teens and pre-teens who are most active on social media are more likely to experience low self-esteem, depression and anxiety around "missing out" than those who spend less time online. #FOMO is real! (Digital Trends)

3. There's an elementary school with standing desks for every student.

ADVERTISEMENT

At Vallecito Elementary in California, kids are learning on their feet, literally! (Fast Co. Exist)

4. Oatmeal is paleo?!

Based on new evidence discovered in Italy, it's now believed that paleolithic humans ate oatmeal. (Tech Times)

5. The number of uninsured Americans is down by 8.8 million.

Though the average income remained steady, the number of people who are uninsured dropped to 33 million last year. (NYT)

6. Vitamin D deficiency has now been linked to increased risk for Alzheimer's and dementia.

A new study suggests that Vitamin D helps protect the brain against inflammation and cognitive decline. It's believed that up to 50% of Americans are Vitamin D-deficient without knowing it. (CBS)

7. Meet the hottest restaurants of the year 2081.

Hint: there's lots of Brooklyn involved in the future, as imagined and described in detail in this fictional interview with the future's hottest chef. (Eater)

8. France voted to ban tanning beds.

This week, the French Senate voted to ban tanning beds because of their health risks. In France, rates of melanoma tripled between 1980 and 2005. Though the bill is unlikely to get passed by the other house of Parliament, it's a good sign that the country is taking skin cancer seriously. (Le Monde)

9. What a month of SLT does to your body and mind.

"I notice my posture has gotten better for the first time in my life. I can stand normally! I’m getting stronger. I'm probably doing many things wrong — I still think this class should have five teachers, not one — but I have a lot to learn about how my body and mind work, too. I need to be okay with taking breaks. I need to stop judging myself through others’ eyes. I’m here for me, after all, and I finally have something no other class has been able to give me: teeny-tiny little ab muscles I can finally see." — Carlye Wisel (Racked)

Photo courtesy of Racked

Explore More