We’re all susceptible to the “do more and be more” message. We feel guilty when we take a day off. My New Year’s resolution this year was to say no more often, and it has been one of the hardest and most rewarding resolutions of my life. Here are five times I embraced the "no" and the reasons you should, too:

1. It's Ok to say no to the workout.

More is better, right? More yoga, more CrossFit, more miles? Just enjoy enough. When you’re sick or tired, grant your body the gift of listening and take a rest day.

2. It's Ok to say no to the party.

You love your friends. But sometimes, you have to say no to the party and yes to your couch. You don’t need an excuse. You do, however, need to say yes to yourself from time to time.

ADVERTISEMENT

3. It's Ok to say no to the opportunity.

Opportunity knocks, but do you need to answer the door? Not always. I have had some incredible job offers in my life. Some were much more lucrative than what I am doing at this moment. Do I regret it? Absolutely not. If you say yes to every opportunity out of fear, let me reassure you that opportunities are limitless. They just may be different from what you expect.

4. It's Ok to say no to the Pinterest lifestyle.

Pinterest was fun at first. Then I started to judge myself. Why weren’t my shelves perfectly organized? Why didn’t I take the time to spray paint my own Mason jar vases? Then I realized that I could appreciate it without doing it. Thanks for the 10-layer cake recipe. Now I’m going to the bakery.

5. It's Ok to say no to the perfect diet.

One of the reasons I'm glad to no longer be in my 20s is the fact that I no longer feel compelled to eat salads for every lunch. I felt as though someone was watching me and I was more miserable for it, when in reality no one cared.

I love green smoothies and yoga and healthy choices. But there’s no substitute for an ice cream cone on the boardwalk during summer. Saying no to your idea of clean eating for one day will not derail your diet. It may instead make your soul more balanced.

For more on how to live your best life (and take care of you), start here:

Photo Credit: iStock

Explore More