10 Rules I Broke While Running 53 Marathons In 53 Days

I was never into running during middle school or high school. In fact, I wasn’t really into any sports at all. I was always the one who had a headache when it was time for gym class. It wasn’t until I started college that I started running. My body was changing in ways I didn’t like — I was eating and drinking more than usual. I was unhealthy and I didn’t like the way it felt.

I was too embarrassed to join a gym or a sports team, so running seemed like the safest option. I could go early in the morning when no one would see me. My first run was a struggle, but six months later I could run a half-marathon distance. My love for running grew and so did my passion for fitness in general. I faced my fears and signed up at the gym and eventually become a personal trainer and sports therapist.

I’ve always wanted to find a way to encourage the public — especially young people — to become more active and live a healthier lifestyle. So, last summer, I took on the challenge of running 53 marathons, in 53 cities and towns throughout the United Kingdom, in 53 consecutive days. I raised money for The Isabelle Lottie Foundation, which campaigns for the early diagnosis of brain tumors in children and young adults, but I also wanted to show that being fit is fun.

On September 27, 2014, I successfully completed my goal and set a world record for both women and men. Though it’s important to note that I didn’t run 53 marathons the typical way — I broke some rules. Here’s how I did it:

1. I never took a rest day.

I woke up at 6 a.m. every morning in preparation for running 26.2 miles a day. I would have to jump straight in the camper van after each run to head to the next city, without taking a day off in between.

2. I didn’t ice bathe regularly.

A lot of runners swear by ice baths, but my body seemed to crave nice warm baths or just massages. Plus, I didn’t always have an ice bath in the hotels, so I had to make do without.

3. I didn’t stretch half as much as I should have.

I was so tired after running all day, I often wouldn’t have time to stretch. I had to get right to the next city. By the time I ate and settled in, it was time to sleep.

4. I wasn’t conscious of how many calories I was consuming.

I tried not to get too wrapped up in what I should be eating, when I should be eating, and how many calories I was consuming. I just listened to my body and ate when I was hungry and knew I needed food. I couldn’t be too fussy about foods as I was always eating in restaurants and on the go.

5. I didn’t have a physiotherapist with me at all times.

It’s hard to find someone who can take 53 days off of work to support such a big challenge, unpaid. I settled for sports massage and treatments when I could get them.

6. I was fueled by the popular European candy, Percy Pig sweets.

When I was running, I felt like my body needed quick calories, so I was eating a lot of candy and chocolate to give me a fast energy boost. Percy Pigs and Jelly Babies sweets were definitely my favorites. I know this may not have been the healthiest option, but it worked for me.

7. I only went through two pairs of running shoes.

According to experts like Runner’s World and Asics, you should switch your athletic shoes every 300-500 miles. If I followed that rule, I would have gone through three to five pairs of shoes. I actually had five pairs with me, but my legs and body got used to wearing the same ones. Changing what I was wearing on my feet made a huge difference in how I felt, so I only used two pairs over the course of 1,388.6 miles.

8. I never foam rolled.

Every runner’s worst enemy and best friend at the same time is the foam roller. I’m a big baby when it comes to using it. I just find them too painful — so I avoided using it during my races.

9. I had red wine occasionally.

I think most people think you need to cut out alcohol to be fit and healthy, but a glass or two every now and then is fine. I found drinking a glass or two of red wine every once in a while actually helped to relax my muscles.

10. I didn’t always wear typical athletic gear.

Anyone who knows me knows that I’m a big fan of unicorns and The Little Mermaid. I love cute and funky tops so I wore colorful T-shirts a lot. They weren’t fashion-forward or moisture-wicking tops; they were loose, bargain shirts, but they were fun and funky — matching my mood and the aim of the challenge.

Are you thinking about running a race? Here are some articles to help you with your training!:

Photo courtesy of the author

Related Posts

Sites We Love

Unlock The Healing Power Of Food

Sign up for FREE access to mindbodygreen's Functional Nutrition Webinar to learn how food can be a pathway to optimal health & wellbeing.

Your article and new folder have been saved!