This is such a pretty salad — deep green kale, light green avocado, pale yellow grapefruit. It's perfect for lunch or supper either alongside grilled fish or over a bed of quinoa.
Yellow Grapefruit + Avocado Salad
- 1 yellow grapefruit, peeled
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 2 cups baby kale or similar greens
Ingredients for the vinaigrette
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Quarter the grapefruit, then cut into 1⁄4-inch slices. Arrange on a platter or in a shallow bowl. Top with the avocado slices, then sprinkle with the baby kale.
2. To make the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and serve.
Reprinted with permission from Citrus, by Valerie Aikman-Smith and Victoria Pearson, copyright © 2015, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.
Photographs copyright © 2015 by Victoria Pearson