Braids, buns, top knots, oh my! If you're feeling a little lackluster about your hair these days, maybe all you need is a little bit of styling inspiration. After the environmental havoc summer can wreak on your locks, it's important to get your hair healthy first so you get the most out of whatever style you choose. But once you're lush and shiny up top, experiment away!

THE MESSY BUN

The definition of an "I woke up like this" style, a messy bun tells the world you're willing to try, but not too hard.

THE MILKMAID BRAID

ADVERTISEMENT

Show off those hard-earned grade-school braiding skills, and channel your inner Disney princess with this one.

THE SUPER-FULL PONYTAIL

They'll never know your secret!

THE HALF-UP, HALF-DOWN BUN

The "It" style of cool girls everywhere, the half-up, half-down bun is the grown-up version of that half-ponytail you rocked through middle school.

THE ROPE BRAID

If only Rapunzel had known about this one while she was stuck in that tower...

THE EVERYDAY WAVE

Not quite equipment-free, but the results are so pretty and effortless that a curling iron is a small price to pay for this perfect everyday look.

THE TOP KNOT

You heard it here: Dirty hair is a key ingredient to awesome hair.

THE BLOW OUT

The LBD of hairstyles, a perfect blowout is often considered the holy grail of at-home styling. Luckily, it's much easier to achieve than it looks.

THE FISHTAIL BRAID

Want to feel like a glamorous mermaid? This is the braid for you.

THE "IT'S TIME TO CUT MY OWN BANGS!"

For the day you decide you're bored with your look, DIY bangs are an awesome way to change things up quickly. Just remember: cutting your hair isn't easily reversed, so be really careful to follow these directions and maybe think about investing in a pair of cutting shears. (Trust me, I've self-cut bangs to disastrous results enough times to know when a tutorial is crucial.)

Explore More