When I moved to New York City in January, I was impressed with everything the city had to offer. Particularly, how easy it made my life — Venmo? Seamless? Spotify? Yet my most recent discovery is undoubtedly my favorite: ClassPass — and I know I'm not alone with my ClassPass obsession.
The company that allows you to visit as many fitness studios as you want, for a flat fee, each month, is quickly growing. It's currently available in 29 U.S. cities and three international ones (London, Vancouver and Toronto).
It's the great democratizer of boutique fitness world. If you're on it, you'll understand how awesome it is. If you're not, try it and you'll never go back. Either way, consider yourself warned. Here are the 10 realities of being a crazy obsessed ClassPass-er:
1. You'll never "go to the gym" again.
Oh, the gym. How 2007! Treadmills, elliptical trainers, stairmasters … Can you say snoozefest? In 2015, it’s all about Barry’s, FlyBarre and Brooklyn Bodyburn.
2. If you do find yourself in a gym, you'll have no idea what to do.
How are you supposed to do anything without a bubbly instructor pumping you up?
3. You'll get comfortable taking crazy classes you’ve never tried before.
Butt camp? Pole dancing? Warrior Fitness Boot Camp? Bring it on! With ClassPass, you’re ready for anything.
4. You'll overestimate your athletic ability and book multiple classes in a day.
Sleep, work and your social life have taken a back seat. You double, or even triple-up, on classes. It's like an all-you-can-eat fitness buffet ... Except instead of leaving with a stomachache and a popped button, you leave dehydrated and cramping.
5. After one week of ClassPass, you realize you need to set some boundaries.
After a few mornings of waking up unable to move, you scale it back to one-a-day workouts.
6. Paying the regular fee for a class not on ClassPass seems insane.
$34 a class? How the eff does anyone afford $34 a class and survive in NYC?
7. You'll be commitment-phobic until 12 hours and 1 minute before the class (when you have to commit, or cancel without being charged a fee).
To spin, or not to spin, that is the question. Will you be mad at your 9 pm self for committing to this class? Nah, I'm DOING it, you think as you aggressively press reserve.
8. If you're an organized person, the 12 o'clock sign-up panic is real.
I hear that organized people start watching the clock at 11:45 am. They feel like they NEED to get into that 8 am FlyBarre class or tears are imminent.
9. Signing up for classes feels like online dating.
Instead of setting parameters around education, income, and religious beliefs, you're checking boxes around type of class, time and how far you're willing to travel. (Yet, ClassPass is arguably way more fun than dating.)
10. You bond with other ClassPassers.
You connect with people in class when you realize you both signed up on ClassPass. And you gush about it, before trading tips on your favorite classes and instructors. It’s like a secret society of people who love fitness. What could be better?
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.