Who hasn’t left the table after a holiday meal feeling stuffed and bloated?

Increasing the health at your Rosh Hashanah table may feel impossible or out of reach. You might think your family and guests won’t be happy with any deviation from tradition.

However, by including just one plant-based dish in your holiday menu, there’s less room for unhealthy options. This is a win-win for everyone because it demonstrates you care about your loved ones’ health, and you’ll feel like you’re creating your own new traditions.

Plant-based food includes vegetables, fruits, tubers, whole grains, and legumes (and excludes meat, dairy, eggs, and highly processed foods).

If you want to include more plant-based dishes on your Rosh Hashanah table, here’s how to do it simply and mindfully:

ADVERTISEMENT

1. Connect to inspiration when planning holiday menus.

Any images or resources I find that speak to the atmosphere and visual look of the event get saved and gathered together, and help to ground me for the planning and preparation of the holiday events.

Take action: Set a timer for 20 minutes and browse Pinterest for visual inspiration. You can browse my plant-based recipe Pinterest boards here.

2. Make your menu structure work for you.

Most meals have one appetizer, one main dish, two side dishes, and a dessert.

Take action: Pick one dish that you’ll commit to being plant-based for your Rosh Hashanah meal(s). Maybe it's something you can make ahead, so you'll be sure to get it done.

3. Check out new plant-based resources.

There are so many plant-based options out there just waiting for you, there’s no need to reinvent the wheel. Now that you have one dish you’ve decided on, find a few options for the recipe you’ll use.

Take action: Search favorite food or lifestyle websites. Bookmark or print out a few options. Come back to your selections after a few days and pick the recipe that fits in with the other dishes you’ll be serving and that feels the most exciting and/or easiest for you to make.

When you cook to nourish yourself and your family, prioritizing health and plant-based whole foods, you can’t go wrong. In the comments, let me know: What plant-based dish will you be making for Rosh Hashanah?

For more plant-based recipes fit for a holiday meal, start here:

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Explore More