7 Things You Need To Know Today (August 11)
1. Scotland bans GMOs.
Scottish officials think it damages the country's "clean and green brand." Agreed. (TIME)
2. More models are embracing social activism.
Jourdan Dunn, Behati Prinsloo, and Cara Delevingne are using their social media influence for good. (NYT)
3. Here's Tesla's plan to get to 500,000 cars a year in 2020.
They're doing 50,000 cars a year now. (Bloomberg)
4. This is what Tulum's best organic and local restaurant looks like.
I've eaten there, and Hartwood is even better than it looks. (Eater)
5. Bras are a victim of athleisure trend.
Sports bras are on the rise, but at the expense of traditional bras. (CNBC)
6. They're taking working out very seriously in Turkey.
In one Turkish province, government employees can come in an hour late to work if they exercise in the morning. (The Cut)
7. The future of medicine is poop transplants and microbiome makeovers.
"Anti-diarrheals, anti-depressants, there’s several herbal supplements. Behavioral therapy. The list goes on and on. Many of these patients are miserable. Their quality of life is terrible, and new therapies are needed ... You could say to a person, you have these bacteria now and we know that if we can change a few of them, you’d feel much better. Being able to individualize and personalize the therapeutic effect of a fecal transplant — that’s the next step. " - Olga Aroniadis, a researcher and internist at Montefiore Medical Center in New York on the potential and need for new treatments centered around the microbiome. (Fast Co Exist)