8 Things You Need To Know Today (August 1)
1. Mark Zuckerberg opens up about three miscarriages.
But there's a silver lining: he and his wife Priscilla Chan are expecting their first baby — a girl! (Facebook)
2. Russell Simmons explains why meditation is better than booze.
"Meditation gives you a longer life, better memory, and better brain functionality," says Simmons. We agree! (The Cut)
3. Barry's Bootcamp is rapidly expanding.
With capital from North Castle Partners they're looking to expand to 12 locations in NYC in the next year. (Racked)
4. pH strips are the new party favor.
These $10 kits allow followers of the Alkaline Diet to test and compare the acid levels in their urine (or sometimes saliva). And they're flying off the shelves in NYC! (NY Post)
5. DAVIDsTEA is trying to make tea cool.
They have 163 stores across USA and Canada, and the brand is just getting started. (Fast Company)
6. Californians are making progress on the drought.
The state cut urban water usage by 27% in June. But before you sigh a breath of relief, know that officials are still concerned and worry that Angelenos may revert to their old water-wasting ways. (Los Angeles Times)
7. Standing dramatically improves health — even in small doses.
New research suggests you can see big benefits after just two hours of standing. (TIME)
8. Whitney Cummings has some healthy thoughts on being an actress and gaining weight.
"I did this weird thing that nobody likes to do anymore where I gained weight. I gained like 25 lbs., which I think I needed to. I was way too skinny before. Here's the thing: When you're on television, you get confused. I looked like I was passing away and I put on, like, 20 lbs. I think it filled out...People think I got a face-lift. I feel like all the advice to girls nowadays is 'Lose weight! Lose weight!'" - Whitney Cummings (E!)
Want to learn how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.