11 Things You Need To Know Today (July 29)
1. Google tried to buy a veggie burger company?!
2. If we can't have Google veggie burgers, at least Hardee's is adding grass-fed burgers to the menu.
3. Meet Ben Heitmeyer, the last male finisher in the first triathlon in Special Olympics history.
"I want to people to see that you never give up," Ben said minutes after finishing. (ESPN)
4. UK's Tesco to stop selling sugary drinks geared for kids.
One in four kids in Great Britain is overweight, and Tesco is taking a stand. (The Guardian)
5. Natural testosterone levels aren't enough to determine whether or not female athletes can compete.
Indian sprinter Dutee Chand wins her case to compete, and throws athletic gender boundaries for a loop. (NYT)
6. Athleisure, athleisure, athleisure!
Abercrombie is getting in the athleisure game, debuting a new line this week. (Racked)
7. CrossFit's business is very simple, and very profitable.
There are 12,000+ CrossFit-affiliated boxes worldwide, and the business is said to be worth $4 billion. (Quartz)
8. Here's a sneak peek at Athleta's collaboration with Derek Lam.
And it's available online starting September 5! (Racked)
9. There's a huge controversy around a jogging stroller advertisement happening right now.
A Bugaboo ad featuring a 23-year-old mom (and model) running in a bikini with a jogging stroller is stirring things up. (AdWeek)
10. The world's oldest panda is 110!
Jia Jia turned 37 (or approximately 110 in panda years) yesterday, and she had a pretty awesome birthday bash. Jia is also on medication for high blood pressure and arthritis; maybe it's time for some yoga? (TIME)
11. Stephen Hawking is doing an AMA on Reddit.
"The potential benefits are huge, since everything that civilization has to offer is a product of human intelligence; we cannot predict what we might achieve when this intelligence is magnified by the tools AI may provide, but the eradication of disease and poverty are not unfathomable." - Stephen Hawking talking about artificial intelligence on Reddit (Washington Post)
Want to learn how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.