1. The $115 million raised by pouring ice water on our heads is being well-spent in the fight against ALS.
About half of the money has been budgeted to specific purposes, but the ALS Association is determined to spend it intentionally, so they're dividing the rest into five buckets: research, patient and community services, public and professional education, fundraising, and money to pay for processing all the money they've raised. (It adds up.) Bottom line: Your discomfort — and Gwyneth Paltrow's — was worth it.
2. Eleven maps and charts prove that we're living in the best time in human history.
There's a lot of ugly stuff in our world, sure. But, if you look at the data on poverty, life span, and war in recent years, there's no denying things are trending happy.
3. Malala Yousafzai gave herself a school for girls on her 18th birthday.
The youngest winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, Malala proved once again her commitment to changing the lives of women by opening this school for Syrian refugee girls. The school can take up to 200 girls ages 14-18, and was paid for by The Malala Fund.
4. Sports Illustrated shot 24 different covers to celebrate the U.S. National Women's Soccer Team.
Continuing in their parade of firsts, the USNWST is being featured in a special issue of Sports Illustrated. Every player will have her own cover, as will coach Jill Ellis. (And, no, they won't be wearing bikinis.)
5. Taylor Swift continues to prove that she's a unicorn of a human, donates $50,000 to fan with leukemia.
An 11 year-old named Naomi got the best T-Swift shoutout ever when the pop star sent her $50k to help pay for her medical treatments. And, Naomi's response is totally adorable.
6. A Texas firefighter went beyond the call of duty when he took down a would-be robber.
Daniel Gaskey, a former marine, tackled the masked miscreant as soon as he realized what was happening, made sure his knife was out of reach, and held him there until police arrived. Moral of the story: Don't mess with Texas.
7. A baby can see her mom clearly for the first time with glasses, melts our hearts in response.
Eleven-month-old Piper Verdusco's parents recently learned she's extremely farsighted. They recorded what happened when she first put on glasses, and it might be the sweetest thing you see all day.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock