5 Healthy Ingredients, 1 Incredible Smoothie
Looking to boost your energy, reduce anxiety, and improve digestion? Look no further than this amazing Matcha Mint Chip Smoothie! It's loaded with superfoods to give you lasting energy, boost your hydration and support a healthy immune system.
This smoothie includes:
In Japanese, the word ma means powder and the word cha means tea, so literally translated, matcha means "powdered tea". Matcha is shade-grown and carefully harvested and ground into a fine powder, which is dissolved into water to create matcha tea.
The fact that matcha is powdered makes it ideal for culinary uses (as it can be easily mixed into many recipes). With slightly more caffeine than regular green tea, but less than coffee, matcha provides energy without creating a jittery feeling.
There's nothing better than mint for extra freshness. It also supports healthy digestion and may be helpful in relieving headaches.
3. Raw Cacao Nibs
In addition to providing a delicious chocolatey and nutty flavor to recipes, raw cacao nibs also are a rich source of magnesium, antioxidants, and fiber.
4. Coconut Water
Coconut water is brimming with electrolytes, making it a wonderfully delicious and hydrating beverage, with just the right amount of natural sweetness.
5. Chia Seeds
One my all-time-favorite superfoods, chia seeds are an excellent source of omega-3s, protein and minerals. Chia seeds also help to thicken up your smoothie — they're an essential addition to all my smoothies!
Matcha Mint Chip Smoothie
- 1 cup of coconut water
- 1-2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1/2 scoop of plant-based protein
- 1/2 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1 small bunch of fresh mint leaves (about 1/3 cup loosely packed)
- 1 big handful of baby spinach (about 3/4 cup loosely packed)
- 1-2 drops of mint essential oil (optional, but it makes a stronger mint flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A small pinch of pink Himalayan salt (brings out flavors and sweetness, adds minerals)
- Desired amount of ice
- Top with 1-2 tablespoons raw cacao nibs
1. Put the coconut water, chia seeds, protein powder and matcha into the blender, allow to soak 3 minutes.
2. Add in the mint, spinach, essential oil, vanilla, pinch of salt, blend to combine.
3. Add in ice to make your desired thickness, blend. Pour into glass, top with raw cacao nibs.
Photo courtesy of the author
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.