15 Ways To Start Getting Happier ... RIGHT Now

Six years ago, I was totally burned out from my job, addicted to drugs, suffering from eating disorders, and was diagnosed with clinical depression. All of my relationships were toxic, and I hated who I saw in the mirror. One night, I hit my breaking point. I remember crying hysterically on the floor, and screaming to no one about how I just couldn’t do it anymore.

At some point, I realized I knew how to fix the problem. I didn’t have to be a victim in my own life. I just had to figure out what I wanted. So, I got off the floor, stared at myself in the mirror and asked, “What do you want?"

At that point, all I knew was that I wanted to be happy. Learning how to achieve that has been my journey for the past several years. It’s a process that has required the willingness to let go of everything that doesn’t serve my ultimate purpose. It’s hard and it’s scary, but there’s no more worthwhile pursuit. So, I left my job, healed my addictions, and eventually turned my experiences into my current career path of coach and author.

These days, I wake up peaceful, connected to myself, at ease in the world. If you feel stuck, overwhelmed by all the things it feels like you need to FIX before you can be happy, or you just want to check in with yourself, read over the checklist that helped me turn my life around. Think of it as a sutra for your best life ever.

1. Wake up with gratitude.

ADVERTISEMENT

2. Slow down. There is no “there" to get to. It is forever unfolding.

3. The world you inhabit is a reflection of your internal state. If you want to see external change, work from the inside out.

4. You always have everything you need.

5. Instead of asking, “ What can I get?” ask, “What can I give?”

6. Take action daily — it will bring clarity.

7. Your body knows what it needs. Tune in.

8. Move with joy, every day.

9. Forgive yourself. Compassion is the best tool for personal growth.

10. The truer you are to yourself, the easier life will be.

11. Fun is an indicator of success. If it doesn’t promote joy, don’t do it. The more fun you have, the happier you'll be.

12. When you take care of yourself, you help and heal those around you. It always starts with you.

13. Everything you desire is possible as soon as you believe it’s possible. The only thing ever stopping you is yourself.

14. You can trust your inner voice; it will never let you down.

15. Happiness is journey, not a destination.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock