Make Your Own Coconut Milk In 5 Minutes
Everybody likes a creamy dairy alternative for snacks and smoothies, but oh the soaking and waiting that comes from making it from nuts! While I’m all about slow food, sometimes you just need something quick and easy.
Coconut is a great source of healthy fat, and trace amounts of minerals, protein and carbohydrates. In milk form, it’s a great food to help maintain blood sugar, hormonal balance and a focused mind. And you don’t even need a fresh coconut to make this recipe.
Use it in your coffee, smoothies, oatmeal, homemade fudgsicles, or just on its own. Kids LOVE it too.
The best part? You can make this recipe in 5 minutes from just a few basic ingredients.
- 1 cup of coconut flakes
- 3 cups of room temperature water
- 2 medjool dates, pitted OR 2-3 drops of liquid stevia
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
You’ll need a nut milk bag or fine mesh strainer, and a funnel.
1. Place the coconut flakes and water in a blender, process. Allow it to sit for a few minutes to rehydrate the coconut. Check Instagram while you’re waiting, it helps.
2. Add the dates (unless you want it sugar-free, in which case add the stevia later). Blend thoroughly.
3. Get a jar, put the funnel over it, and the nut milk bag over that. Pour the entire mixture through to strain, using a spoon to scoop out any clumps of fat. Squeeze the bag to get as much liquid out as possible.
4. Now add the vanilla extract, cinnamon, and stevia (if you went the sugar-free route). Mix it up and you’re done!
- 1 1/2 cups of your homemade coconut milk
- 1 medium banana, cut and frozen in advance
- 1 tablespoon nut or seed butter of your choice (I use sunflower seed butter)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds
- ½ teaspoon raw cacao
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon maca (optional)
Blend it all up, that’s all. Enjoy!
Want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Whole 30? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.