Cleanse AND cool off with these unique smoothies, packed with detoxifying ingredients.
This exotic blend sips like a fancy cocktail, but skips the hefty bar tab. Melon is hydrating, and rich in vitamin C and anti-inflammatory lycopenes, while rosemary contributes awesome flavor and antibacterial backup. The combination makes this your secret immunity agent! Throw in the jalapeño for an added cleanse and kick.
- 3 cups (480g) chopped seedless watermelon, chilled
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 lemon, peeled and seeded
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary
- 1⁄2 cup (80g) frozen pineapple
- 1⁄4 cup (80g) frozen strawberries
- 5 drops alcohol-free liquid stevia, plus more to taste (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup (60g) frozen raw cauliflower florets
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cold-pressed, extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeño chile
Throw all of the ingredients into your blender and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds, until well combined.
This vegetable-packed blend is surprisingly delicious (definitely add the mint!) The betaine in beets flushes the liver, purifies the blood, and enhances circulation. Carrots boost the liver’s antioxidant capacity and lemons improve liver function. Chard provides syringic acid, a flavonoid that prevents liver degeneration, and mango and ginger have liver-protecting properties, too.
- 1 1⁄2 cups (360ml) unfiltered apple juice
- 1 medium raw beet, chopped (steamed or baked, if using a conventional blender)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped (steamed or grated, if using a conventional blender)
- 2 medium lemons, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup (31g) loosely packed chard leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger (optional)
- 1 cup (160g) frozen mango
- 1⁄4 cup (9g) firmly packed mint
- 1⁄4 cup (30g) frozen raw broccoli florets
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric
Throw all of the ingredients (except the frozen mango) into your blender and blast on high for about 1 minute, until well combined. Add the frozen mango and blast for 10 to 20 seconds more, until smooth and creamy.
Avo + Cuke Cooler
This blend is a satisfying meal replacement. Avocados are a complete protein, rich in alkalizing vitamins and minerals, heart-healthy fats, and glutathione, the magical antioxidant that repairs cell and tissue damage, calms inflammation, and regulates metabolism.
- 1 1⁄2 cups (360ml) water
- 1 1⁄2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1⁄2 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup (7g) firmly packed arugula
- 1⁄4 cup (7g) finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed, extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely chopped serrano chile, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon natural salt, plus more to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups (190g) ice cubes
- 1 teaspoon cold-pressed avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon shelled hemp seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon wheatgrass powder
Throw all of the ingredients into your blender and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds, until smooth and creamy. Tweak flavors to taste (you may like more lime juice, chile, or salt).
Reprinted with permission from The Blender Girl Smoothies, by Tess Masters, copyright © 2014, 2015, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.
Photographs copyright © 2014 by Erin Kunkel