7 Ways You're Sabotaging Your Potential (And How To Stop)

We all have obligations: lawns to mow, appointments to make, family to call. But the daily grind shouldn’t keep you from pursuing your dreams. So, if you find the urgent getting in the way of the important, it’s time to examine the obstacles, and redirect your energy. After all, this is your one and only life.

Here are seven of the most common excuses for not doing what you love — and strategies for moving past them.

1. “I’m not passionate enough.”

Clarify how much this dream means to you – is it a passing fancy, or a constant presence?

Sometimes, we tell ourselves we don’t care about something as much as we really do, because the prospect of pursuing it is scary. If you decide you really are passionate, you have to work towards making the dream a reality, or you’ll spend your life wishing you had. It can be helpful to identify how your dream fits into your life goals. Consider pursuing your dream a necessary step towards fulfilling your purpose.

2. “I don’t have time.”

It’s never an issue of time. We make time for what’s important. Squeeze in an hour before work or after the kids have gone to bed to pursue your passion. As it starts to take shape, you’ll be more and more motivated to do it.

3. “I can’t afford it.”

You won’t need funding for your project until you actually know what it is. The first step is defining its mission and identity. Before you worry about where the money will come from, do the research. Tap into all the resources that don’t cost a dime.

4. “I’m scared.”

More often than not, the obstacles we fear are in our heads. Fear of failure, fear of change, fear of rejection keep so many people from living the lives they really want. Imagine the worst case scenario. Even if it sucked, it’s something you’d recover from. And, you’d come out of it stronger, smarter, and more interesting than you were before. Imagine what that version of you would be capable of. Imagine never trying at all.

5. “I’m not well-connected.”

You might not think of yourself as a typical networker, but I bet you have friends who share your interests. Try joining a Facebook group, or attending a meetup nearby. Finding kindred spirits is easy when you’re pursuing your own interests. Don’t think of it as networking. Just think of it as learning together and making new friends.

6. “I’m inexperienced.”

That won’t change unless you do something about it. Check out online courses or blogs in your field, libraries, small business advising centers, and even Amazon. There’s no shortage of resources. Don’t let that be the thing that holds you back. The best way to learn is by doing.

7. “I don’t have direction”

Work on it. See what happens. If you fail, start over and try again. You’re one step closer to finding what works.

Dreams don’t just materialize. We have to manifest the reality we want. You owe it to yourself to start today.

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!