As I write this, I’m filled with a deep sense of understanding of purpose in my life. But for many years, I lived and worked in jobs that were absent of meaning. Through all of them, though, I never stopped feeling the urge to connect to my purpose.

When you're not living the life you’re meant to have, the signs trying to lead you there seem blurred. When you are, the puzzle pieces will start to fit together, lending meaning and clarity to parts of your life that lacked those things before.

It's rare to have a eureka moment where your purpose is revealed to you. More often, we're prodded by discomfort telling us there's something wrong. So, if you notice any of these signs in your life, give them the attention and consideration they deserve. The longer you ignore them, the more loudly they’ll protest.

1. You're exhausted.

You body is deeply tied to your emotional state. Are you feeling depleted or exhausted? Are your days an emotional roller coaster?

ADVERTISEMENT

Any time you notice your mood changing for the worse, ask yourself what's causing it. Over time, you’ll paint a clear picture of what's responsible for these emotional or energetic inconsistencies.

2. You procrastinate.

When I had a job that was antithetical to who I am, I found starting every new project difficult. At the time, I thought I just wasn’t good at that type of work, and beat myself up for procrastinating. Now I know I dreaded the work because it didn’t allow me to use my true gifts.

Examine what you procrastinate in your life, and look for patterns. What about patterns in the things you want to spend your time and energy on? Once you identify those things, begin to focus your purpose-based energy on that activity.

3. You can't handle your life.

This may seem dramatic, but if you stay in a place where everything that occurs to you is a big drama, it's time to check in with yourself. Chances are you’re stressed and unable to cope because your soul is not at peace. As Eckhart Tolle wrote, "Stress is caused by being 'here' but wanting to be 'there'." Ask yourself, How do I feel right here, right now?

4. You're jealous.

If you're feeling envious of how your friends and acquaintances lives, it’s probably a clue that you aren't fully living your life. Every time you get jealous, ask yourself, What quality in my friend's life do I want in mine? What steps can I take to get closer to that?

5. You don't love yourself.

To love yourself is to accept where you are in your life. To accept where you are is to believe that you’re on the right path at this moment in time. Reflect on how far you've come. Give thanks, and tell yourself you love and accept yourself, right where you are. This is the start to creating a life filled with purpose.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Explore More