99-Year-Old Woman Fulfills Her Dream Of Graduating From College

99-Year-Old Woman Fulfills Her Dream Of Graduating From College Hero Image

For most, college graduation marks the beginning of real life. But for 99-year-old Doreetha Daniels, it means the fulfillment of a lifelong dream. Unlike the rest of her classmates, she's already seen the world.

World War II? Check. The 1960s Civil Rights Movement? Check. College graduation? Finally, check.

According to KTLA, Daniels enrolled at College of the Canyons in Santa Clarita, CA in 2009, and although she had a few setbacks — including a couple of strokes — she became the college's oldest graduate when she received her degree this past Friday.

College staff said Daniels struggled at times — particularly in computer literacy — surrounded by 18- to 24-year-old students, but she pushed on. She studied hard, did her homework, and worked with tutors.

"It's been 63 years since I've taken algebra even," Daniels said in a statement. "But I've learned a lot."

ADVERTISEMENT

It was her grandchildren, who were working on masters' degrees, who inspired her to go get what she wanted.

Daniels also offered some sage advice to us mere mortals: "Don't give up. Do it. Don’t let anybody discourage you. Say that, 'I'm going to do it,' and do it for yourself."

Image via College of the Canyons

Explore More