Gluten-Free Breakfast Idea: Dutch Baby Pancake + Strawberries
This gluten-free treat might just be your new brunch favorite.
Though it doesn’t overflow from the pan like its gluten-based version, this pancake comes out light and puffy, crispy on the outside and custardy on the inside — just the way it should be!
Gluten-Free Dutch Baby Pancake + Strawberries
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour, sifted
- ½ cups tapioca flour
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ½ lb (225 g) strawberries, tops removed and quartered
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1. Place a cast-iron pan inside the oven and preheat it to 425°F (220°C). Crack the eggs in a large bowl. Using a handheld mixer or immersion blender whisk them for 15-20 seconds. Add the coconut milk and vanilla extract. Blend for 10 seconds. Add the coconut flour, tapioca flour, cinnamon powder and baking powder. Blend continuously until the lumps are gone. Scrape down the sides when needed. Let it rest for 5 minutes to give the coconut flour time to absorb enough liquid.
2. Add the butter to the pan and return it to the oven for 3 minutes until the butter melts and becomes frothy. Pour the batter into the center of the pan and place it in the oven to cook for 30 minutes. It is ready once it has puffed up with a golden brown color.
3. To make powdered coconut sugar, place the coconut sugar crystals in a coffee grinder and pulse until it is pulverized.
4. Combine the strawberries, lemon juice and zest and spread it on top of the pancake. Top with powdered coconut sugar and serve immediately.
This recipe is excerpted from One-Pot Paleo: Simple to Make, Delicious to Eat and Gluten-free to Boot
And are you feeling a little fatigued? Feel like something's just not right, but Western Medicine tells you, "you're fine"? Jason Wachob, founder & CEO of mindbodygreen, tells all in his health story. Sign up now for FREE!