Richard Branson is a lot of things: an iconoclast, an entrepreneur, and a little bit crazy -- the perfect recipe for his unparalleled success. Here are five things we can learn from him:
1. Don't be afraid to fail... Remember Virgin Cola? I don't think so. Suffice to say, Branson's attempt to take on Coke and Pepsi wasn't exactly a success. In fact, it was a terrible failure.
2. Take risks... "You fail if you don't try. If you try and you fail, yes, you'll have a few articles saying you've failed at something. But if you look at the history of American entrepreneurs, one thing I do know about them: An awful lot of them have tried and failed in the past and gone on to great things."
3. Embrace the adventurous child in you... Branson traveled the world in a hot-air balloon (in which he almost died), and now flying to space is on his agenda.
4. Go with your gut... "I rely far more on gut instinct than researching huge amounts of statistics."
5. Give back... Branson has pledged $10 billion over a period of 10 years to help combat global warming.