Sadly, the U.S. is the worst developed country for mothers.
According to the State of the World's Mothers 2015 report by the Save The Children organization, the U.S. comes in 33rd out of 179 countries in the "Mothers' Index Rankings" — one of the lowest spots held by any other similarly developed nation, slipping by two since last year.
The rankings are based on five factors:
- Lifetime risk of maternal death
- Mortality rate for children under the age of five
- Formal schooling years of children
- Gross national income per capita
- Women's participation in national government
Here are the 10 best countries for mothers:
And here are the 10 worst countries for mothers:
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Central African Republic
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Haiti & Sierra Leone
Europe, it seems, is a much better option.
You can read the full report here.
Photo Credit: Stocksy