6 Snacks For Anyone Trying To Eat Clean

There's so much emphasis on detoxing and cleanses these days that many people are curious about them. While "detoxing" can be useful if you haven't been living the kind of healthy life you really want, do you need to enroll in a retreat or go to extreme measures just to clean up your body?

The short answer is no.

While detox retreats and juice cleanses can have some amazing benefits (I highly recommend them if you’ve never tried one), there's plenty you can do push harmful substances out of your system, starting with your diet.

Without having to make extreme changes in your routine, here are six tasty (and surprising) afternoon snacks that will help you eat a little cleaner every day:

1. Chia seed pudding

A versatile little seed loaded with protein, iron, calcium, magnesium and antioxidants, chia seeds can be eaten as pudding for breakfast, dessert or a midday snack. Simply mix the seeds with coconut or almond milk, add a pinch of cinnamon and vanilla and let it sit for a few hours, until it gets that yummy pudding consistency.

2. Lentil-stuffed sweet potato

I love being creative with my leftovers and encourage my coaching clients to do the same. This simple idea can be a full meal if the portion is larger, or a great snack in smaller portions. It’s easy to digest, satisfying and cleansing.

3. Green detox smoothie

Who says that a smoothie has to be consumed first thing in the morning? Instead of gulping down 16 or 24 ounces, you can make a little six-ounce smoothie with some apples, ginger, sesame seeds and coconut water.

4. Baked artichoke

This is one of my favorite snacks. I bake a full artichoke at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, sprinkle a bit of olive oil and Himalayan pink salt and eat it, peeling each little leaf with my hands. It's the perfect finger food.

5. Sesame cabbage slaw

Shred equal parts of purple and green cabbage, carrot and onions, add some sesame seeds, a little lemon juice and tahini sauce. Mix together and keep refrigerated until ready to eat. This simple, flavor-packed dish can be enjoyed as a side dish and a midday snack.

6. Pea dip

A spin on hummus, pea dip is full of easily digestible protein, making it an ideal snack that won’t add to your toxic overload. In a blender, mix the peas, fresh cilantro leaves, lemon juice, garlic, tahini sauce olive oil and a pinch of salt until smooth. Enjoy with celery sticks or gluten-free pita chips.

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!