If you were to visit your 20-year-old self, what message would you have?
I often ask my life coaching clients this, and most of the time clients say, “It is going to be OK, stop worrying so much,” “Things work out in your favor,” or “Stop obsessing so much about what isn’t working and realize how good things really are.”
Our younger, more naive, more headstrong selves may have struggled at times, but overcoming them is part of living a beautiful life. Our 20s are a time of trial, error, mistakes and bad choices, but if we're smart, we can learn valuable life lessons.
As we get older, we usually get wiser. Each year and decade provides more learning, which comes with a deeper understanding of both who we are and what we are capable of.
If you're struggling with understanding the big picture and why you're going through what you are, consider visiting your younger self and reveling in all of the glorious life lessons.
Here are 20 things I would say to my 20-something self:
1. Things aren’t always what they seem. It will get better in time.
2. Your friends were there for you before your significant other. Don’t take them for granted.
3. The flashes of inspiration you receive are part of your future plan and purpose. Don’t ignore them.
4. Everything is connected. It's OK to let go. It will come back around if it's supposed to.
5. When you let go of what’s not working, you make room for what does work.
6. You will never feel ready. But you're more ready than you realize, or else the opportunity wouldn’t have presented itself.
7. Your body isn’t as ugly as you think it is. One day you'll look back and realize how beautiful you are.
8. You are stronger and bigger than anything that can happen to you.
9. You own everything that happens to you. What you're going through will be part of your life story and will one day help others.
10. When something feels off, it is. Trust yourself much sooner.
11. The experience is the reward. Enjoy it more instead of racing to the next thing.
12. Traveling and adventure are the best ways to learn. Go explore more.
13. Everything happens for you not to you.
14. Pay attention to how you feel. Your feelings will always show you the way.
15. It’s OK to not know the answers. You learn the way on the way.
16. Life is a constant balance of holding on and letting go.
17. The sooner you can let go of what no longer serves you, the happier you will be.
18. Your happiness is not a destination or place to get to — it's a choice you make in each moment.
19. The more you value yourself, the less you will seek outside approval.
20. It's not how much we have but how much we enjoy. That is true happiness.
To make your own list grab this FREE Love Your Life to the fullest guide.
And do you want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.