The 10 Best (And Worst) U.S. Communities For Overall Well-Being
If you live in the North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton area of Florida, consider yourself lucky. Gallup-Healthways released its annual Community Well-Being Rankings, say that it was ranked number one in well-being out of the 100 largest metro areas in the United States.
The results are based on more than 176,000 interviews with adults across all 50 states and the District of Columbia, conducted from January through December 2014. The North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton area's index score was 64.1 out of 100. California, North Carolina, and Texas each have two communities in the top 10, while Ohio has five communities in bottom 10 that are ranked lowest for well-being. In fact, Youngstown-Warren-Boardman, Ohio-Pennsylvania, has the lowest well-being score in the country, with a 58.1.
So what, exactly, does "having a high well-being index" mean? Here are the five essential elements:
- Purpose: liking what you do each day and being motivated to achieve your goals
- Social: having supportive relationships and love in your life
- Financial: managing your economic life to reduce stress and increase security
- Community: liking where you live, feeling safe and having pride in your community
- Physical: having good health and enough energy to get things done daily
So, without any further ado, here's the top 10:
- North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton, Florida
- Urban Honolulu, Hawaii
- Raleigh, North Carolina
- Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, California
- El Paso, Texas
- Austin-Round Rock, Texas
- Provo-Orem, Utah
- San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, California
- Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, District of Columbia-Virginia-Maryland-West Virginia
- Winston-Salem, North Carolina
And now, the bottom 10:
- Youngstown-Warren-Boardman, Ohio-Pennsylvania
- Toledo, Ohio
- Knoxville, Tennessee
- Dayton, Ohio
- Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, Indiana
- Deltona-Daytona Beach-Ormond Beach, Florida
- Scranton-Wilkes-Barre-Hazleton, Pennsylvania
- Columbus, Ohio
- Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, Michigan
- Cincinnati, Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana
If you want to see the complete list, you can find it here.
Where did your community land on the list?
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.