5-Year-Old With No Immune System Asks World To Wear Yellow In Support

5-Year-Old With No Immune System Asks World To Wear Yellow In Support Hero Image

Earlier in the month, Seth Lane, a 5-year-old boy who was born without an immune system made a video asking people to wear his favorite color, yellow, on March 27, as he faces yet another operation.

Today is that day.

Seth, who is from Northamptonshire in England, suffers from Severe Combined Immonudeficiency (SCID) — also known as "bubble boy" disease — which requires patients to live in sterile environments. This has caused Seth to spend most of his young life in hospital.

He's already undergone one bone marrow transplant, and now he has to face another in a few weeks. His father will be his donor.

"Even the common cold could lead to death because his body cannot deal with it, but if the transplant is successful, then he can be cured," Seth's mother, Leanne, told ABC News.

ADVERTISEMENT

As he prepares for the transplant — and several more months confined to his hospital room — his parents helped him record this video message:

From his bed, using a series of cue cards, Seth asks people to wear yellow today, take a picture of yourself and then post it on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram with the hashtag #WearYellowForSeth.

"Hello, I'm Seth. I'm five years old, and I love Fireman Sam, Paw Patrol and yellow," the cards read.

"I'm in hospital. I was born with no immune system. I need a second bone marrow transplant. On 27th March lots of people are going to wear yellow to show me how much support I have. Do you want to join in?"

In just a few days, the video had over two million views.

Today, Snapchat even added an option for people to add to their photos or videos to the "Wear Yellow For Seth" Story to spread the word about his cause. As of right now, it's at 148 seconds.

His parents have kept a blog detailing Seth's story, and his father Nik wrote that they want the pictures to show Seth how many people are thinking of him.

"We have a map of the world in his room and will pin all the countries where people have posted a picture from. Also we will be printing some off and putting them up in his room," he said.

Seth's mother Leanne said that the campaign was not only to show him support but also to raise awareness of his condition, and the blog points readers to the Bubble Foundation as well as a GoFundMe page for Seth.

When she told him about all the views, he asked, "Is it more than 20?" She said yes, and he said, "Wowee."

Will you wear yellow today?

Photo Credit: ourlittlehero/WordPress

Explore More