20 Things I Know For Sure

20 Things I Know For Sure Hero Image

Life can be challenging. Setbacks, disease, divorce, anxiety and depression can make it hard for us to move ahead. Most of us try to be happy, but we fall back into worry or fear.

Several years ago, my doctor diagnosed me with clinical depression. She handed me a prescription and my inner voice screamed out, "You don't need drugs to feel better."

At the time, I was suffering from eating disorders, drug addictions and corporate burnout. Turning to another fix felt like a Band-Aid on a broken arm. It wouldn't address my root cause.

That moment was a turning point for me. Instead of looking for answers outside of myself, I retreated inward and there I found my truth. The more comfortable I became with myself, the less willing I was to stay in situations that suffocated my soul.

I gained the courage to walk away from my corporate job to pursue my passion for writing. I left drug addictions, depression and fear behind as I took steps daily to become who I wanted to be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Today, I'm a best-selling author with an award-winning blog. I'm in love with my life, and I'm my own best friend. I share this because no matter what you are going through, there is hope and happiness ahead. I overcame some traumatic times, in part because of the lessons I learned along the way.

The past few years have been a tremendous journey for me, but there are some things I know for sure. What we go through in life is part of a bigger plan. Everything is connected and we always have a choice. If something isn't working in our lives, we can either change how we're looking at it or remove ourselves from the situation.

We can't change others, and we can't change what happens to us, but how we react is always our choice.

If you're struggling or looking for more clarity in your life, you can return to simple truths. There are core lessons I learned along my journey. These 20 things can help you through a difficult time.

1. How you feel is more important than how you look.

2. What other say about you is a reflection of them, not you.

3. What you see in life always depends on what you're looking for.

4. You can't get where you want to be without accepting where you are.

5. You can't think your way into your life purpose. It can only be felt with your heart.

6. Rejection is protection.

7. Taking action brings clarity.

8. Happiness grows in direct proportion to what you're willing to accept.

9. You're always exactly where you're supposed to be.

10. Sometimes people around you won't understand or support your journey. It's OK. It's not for them.

11. You're doing so much better than you give yourself credit for.

12. The only real limits are those you put upon yourself.

13. Everything is a choice. Everything.

14. It's OK to not know the answers. We learn the way on the way.

15. When you accept yourself, you are free from the stress of needing others to accept you.

16. You can begin anywhere, at any time.

17. You know you've made the right decision when you feel expansive and free.

18. When things fall apart it is because something better is falling into place.

19. When you see your own brilliant worth, you'll find it hard to stay in situations and around people who don't.

20. Your heart knows the way. Trust it.

To create your own list grab this free Love Your Life to the Fullest Guide.

Photo Credit: Stocksy