Superfoods are extremely potent and nutritious foods that can have a big impact on your health. You may notice your local health food store has sections dedicated to these natural wonders, and for good reason: they have the potential to energize, balance and help with sustained energy and brain function.

I make sure to incorporate superfoods into all my meals, organizing them in easy-to-access mason jars with labels that include the benefits, making it incredibly easy to know what to add and when. My go-to superfoods lately have been energizers to help fuel my days and my workout. These five are my current favorites for sustained energy, balance and recovery:

1. Chia Seeds

Chia is a tiny little seed that packs a big punch. They help with water balance, weight-loss and sustained energy. They're a low-calorie food with a ton of nutrients. I like to have chia first thing in the morning because aside from being a great energy source, they also have omega 3s, an important component of heart and brain health.

2. Pine Pollen

ADVERTISEMENT

The pollen from pine trees is a great source of of amino acids, vitamins and minerals, and one that I'm always recommending to my clients. It's great for the skin and is anti-inflammatory. I use it before my workouts for energy and endurance, as well as to keep my immunity up.

3. Maca

Quite possibly my favorite superfood of all, this Peruvian root is known to boost energy, balance hormones, help with PMS and increase sex drive. It’s also an adaptogen, meaning it has the ability to balance out your system's needs in all areas, keeping the body in homeostasis.

4. Avocado

Not only is avocado delicious, it's also incredibly nourishing and a great source of healthy fats. Even if I'm not feeling particularly hungry before a workout, I always have some avocado because a little goes a long way and it'll give me the right amount of energy without filling me up.

Superfoods are pretty ubiquitous these days, so play around with the ones that interest you, educate yourself and experience them in your own body. Remember: they work differently for everyone so while maca might be amazing for me, you may respond better to spirulina.

Superfood Pre-Workout Smoothie Bowl

Ingredients

• 1 packet of unsweetened acai or pitaya
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon almond butter
  • 1 tablespoon raw honey or favorite vegan sweetener
  • 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon bee pollen
  • 1 teaspoon chia seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon maca powder
  • 1/4 avocado
  • Goji berries for topping
  • Favorite granola

Preparation

In a blender, combine the acai, banana, almond milk, almond butter, honey or other sweetener, salt, bee pollen, chia, maca and avocado. Blend on high until smooth. Pour into your favorite bowl and top with superfood and your favorite granola. Enjoy!

Photo courtesy of the author

Explore More