This year, I made a goal this year to prioritize my health. For me, this meant eating smarter, taking longer walks with my dog, getting back into yoga, and juicing more. As I was checking off my wellness boxes, I saw that my list was one-sided. It was all focused on physical health. But true wellness is about more than that — it's about living a balanced and fulfilled life, a holistic approach that focuses on mind, body and spirit.

So I decided to revamp my routine by looking at what the healthiest and happiest people I know do regularly. As it turns out, being healthy starts with your mind. If you want to truly thrive, consider adopting these positive habits:

1. Love your body as it is.

You can't hate yourself into change. If you resent or hate a part of your body, it will prevent you from reaching your health goals. Instead, honor your body by sending it loving thoughts and appreciate all it can do. Know you have the most perfect body for you at this moment.

2. Practice forgiveness daily.

ADVERTISEMENT

Letting go of resentment will help you feel more connected to your best self. If you're harboring hurt feelings or if you feel wronged, ask yourself if it's more important to be right or happy. Most of the time, we hold onto hateful feelings because we want to feel right in how others have wronged us. But this prevents us from being happy. What can you let go of and who can you forgive today?

3. Trust your heart over your head.

Your instincts are among the most powerful forces in your life. When you tune into them and trust them, they won't just save you from danger, but will lead you to true purpose and pleasure.

4. Focus on quality instead of quantity.

Sometimes we feel overwhelmed because of the physical stuff in our life. If you feel frustrated, stuck or overwhelmed, consider decluttering and keep only what makes you feel good. Also, pay attention to where you feel lack in your life. For example, if you want more money, you might be focusing on quantity (how little you currently have). Instead, focus on the quality of experiences you want in your life. Practice gratitude, and watch the abundance pour in.

5. Focus on how you feel instead of how you look.

True wealth, happiness and self-worth come from the inside. No outside achievement, situation or experience can cultivate the same authentic feeling. Focus on feeling good and loving yourself as you are and everything else will fall into place.

6. Be compassionate toward yourself.

What you say to yourself about yourself matters most. Start to treat yourself as a friend and speak kindly to yourself. Forgive yourself for feeling off track or for not being where you want to be and celebrate all that you can do.

7. Slow down.

Rushing around and trying to squeeze so much into your day may be causing unnecessary stress. Try to slow down and watch how things transform. This includes every aspect of your life, from eating and chewing your food to talking longer walks with your dog. Slow down to enjoy the true sweetness of life.

8. Release what no longer serves you.

Life is a balancing act of holding on and letting go. I wake up every morning and ask what I need to release or let go of in order to get to where I want to go. Paying attention to the balancing act of letting go will help you feel more happy and free.

9. Listen to your body.

You body is a tool for happiness. No matter what your condition is in the moment, it can guide you to ultimate health. Tune in to the wisdom and nudges of your body. This will help you feel stronger, happier and become healthier.

10. Trust yourself.

Believe in yourself and your instincts. You are your own best teacher when it comes to knowing what to do and when to do it. Many of us seek approval and validation from others because we don't believe in our dreams or actions. When you believe in yourself, everything else falls into place. When you trust yourself, you will feel real self-love.

For more inspiration and wellness tips grab this FREE Love Your Life to The Fullest Guide.

Photo Credit: Getty