3 Simple Ways To Make Friends If You're An Introvert

3 Simple Ways To Make Friends If You're An Introvert Hero Image

As an introvert and a homebody, I'm all about staying at home in cozy pajamas while holding a mug of hot cocoa in front of my wood-burning fireplace. And while I love, honor and celebrate my introverted self, I know that typically people make friends when they leave their home. In fact, most of my friends are people I met while out and about. However, I've also gotten to know some great people while I was snuggled on my couch. If you're interested in doing the same, here are some ideas that have worked for me.

First, get super clear on the kind of friends you want to make. Some questions to ask yourself:

• What would your ideal friendship feel like? What would it look like?
  • Do you want to speak to your new friends every day? Once a week?
  • What would you like to do with them? Chat online? Or meet for a green smoothie?
  • What kinds of personality traits would your ideal friend have? Is she sarcastic and witty? Compassionate and trusting? Loyal and loving?

Take 10 minutes or so to write out what your ideal friendships look and feel like. Then, once you've done, that you're ready to start making some new friends. Here's how:

1. Post in Facebook groups.

There are so many different kinds of Facebook groups out there. Groups for moms, entrepreneurs, moms who are entrepreneurs, aspiring writers, professional writers, yoga teachers, yoga lovers — you name it, it's out there. And most of them are happy to add new members.

ADVERTISEMENT

Search Facebook for the kinds of groups that appeal to you. Choose 3 to 5 and request to join. Once you're in, introduce yourself with a short note. It can be as simple as "Hi everyone! I'm Sarah. I live in New York City, and I'm currently looking to connect with other women who are obsessed with juicing. Send me a private message or comment below. I can't wait to connect with you!"

2. Write a short and sweet note to someone you think is awesome.

It may feel a bit forward to just come out and ask someone to be your friend, but every time I've done it, people seemed really touched and flattered. Invite the person to tea — whether virtual or at your local bakery.

3. Ask other friends to play matchmaker for you.

Let the folks in your life know that you're on the market ... for new friends! They may know the perfect person for you to meet. Since you're already super clear on what your ideal friendship would look and feel like, you can share that information to help matchmakers find a connection for you.

Whichever route you choose, have fun and get excited. Your newest friends are only an email away! And you don't need a shower, makeup, or heels to find them.

Photo Credit: Stocksy

Explore More